CPU 100% System Idle Process Windows ME

Laser157 13:12 23 Mar 07

I have a second computer running Windows ME, and I have been tweaking it up with a few second hand parts. As a result I have taken a bit more interest in how it's working.

Speedfan and MBM both report 100% CPU usage continuously, although the machine works fine and is not sluggish at all.

Not having Task Manger in ME I downloaded Process Explorer which show System Idle Process running and reflecting all the CPU capacity not used by other processes. It also show actual CPU usage correctly.

What I don't understand is that all the stuff I read having Googled the issue says only NT versions of Windows have this process. Is that true?

Does anyone with ME have this process running too?

Laser157 08:17 24 Mar 07

Bump

Greengage 09:51 24 Mar 07

I am running XP Home and have Process Explorer installed - it shows 92/94 System Idle Process all the time.

Laser157 23:29 24 Mar 07

Thanks Greengage. I was aware of this process on recent versions of Windows - basically those based on the NT filing system. In fact my main computer with XP does exactly as you say. However it doesn't lead certain software to report the CPU usage as 100% which is what is happening on my ME machine. I can find no references to ME having this process so I am concerned I may have a bug in the system, even though two virus checkers, plus Spybot and Adaware, don't find anything.

Does anyone else with Windows ME have this process running? Incidentally Process Explorer is a free download and very useful on pre XP Windows.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now