cpu 100% / PC running slow

ms6869 21:40 02 Oct 09

Every now and then (Getting more common) my PC runs very slow.

When looking in task manager it seems the CPU is at 100% capacity. There seem to be a few processes that are taking up all the processing capacity of the CPU. There is one called SYSTEM which i guess must be something serious (?) and then there are several (sometimes three) with the same name called "dumprep.exe" each taking 20-30%.

There are also 79 processes running!

What is this "dumprep.exe" and what can i do to stop it from hogging the cpu?

Should i look to clear the system out a bit to have less processes running at once?

Quite often when this happens the fan seems to be running full power also, i guess this is because the cpu is warming up!!!

Can anyone suggest something to help, perhaps a good place to get some software to do the job for me!

Terry Brown 21:53 02 Oct 09

Windows needs qite a few systems to run, however I would suggest you run a good Anti-virus- trogan software package, as you may be sending your files elsewhere.

I find the best (freebies) are :
Adawareclick here by Lavasoft (There are others that sound similar,but are not the same

Spybot click here

a2free by Emisoft
click here

Adaware clears pop up's etc
Spybot clears hidden bot (spyware)
a2free gives a good clean.
Terry

Technotiger 21:56 02 Oct 09

If you mean System Idle Process, it is normal and good that this is running in the high 90's percentage-wise.

woodchip 22:05 02 Oct 09

turn error reporting off, Right click My Computer\Properties\Advanced turn it off there you should see the button

ms6869 22:09 02 Oct 09

Terry,

You will probably hate me for this but i have Norton Antivirus installed!!!

ms6869 22:10 02 Oct 09

I have just looked again and it is not system idle, just "system"

Any ideas?

ms6869 22:13 02 Oct 09

I have just turned it off, can i expect to see a quick decrease in the use of this "dumprep.exe"?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:25 02 Oct 09

click here will show you what services are required
79 does seem excessive I'm running 49 on XP

birdface 22:31 02 Oct 09
  STREETWORK 22:34 02 Oct 09

Its running hot? how old is the PC?

birdface 22:35 02 Oct 09

You don't expect Norton to keep your computer clean.You need the likes of Malwarebytes free. Superantispyware.or A Squared.Any 2 of those three should do.

But maybe give Malwarebytes a try first.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…