CPU at 100% constantly

toadoftoadhall 04:16 11 Jun 04

I have two questions;

Firstly, will my CPU running at 100% constantly cause any damage to it?

Secondly, is there any way I can stop it from doing so?

I've run Spybot, Adaware and done a fully up-to-date NAV scan, yet it's still at 100% use from the second I boot up.

I'm running Win98Se on a PIII 500

Any ideas?

Dan the Confused 04:26 11 Jun 04

I just posted a possible solution on your last thread.

toadoftoadhall 04:36 11 Jun 04

... but I've tried all that and it's still at 100%.

Am I right in thinking if it's not a Windows program hogging the CPU, it might be a DOS one?

I've actually noticed that when typing this reply, my cursor is not just blinking regularly but is flickering too, as if something is running in the background. I wonder if that has anything to do with this...

Dan the Confused 04:37 11 Jun 04

Have you installed anything since the usage problem started?

toadoftoadhall 04:39 11 Jun 04

I recently "upgraded" from Correct Connect to Broadband Medic.
However, in my efforts to cure this problem, that was one of the first things I uninstalled...

Dan the Confused 04:52 11 Jun 04

Hmmm... If Ad-Aware, Spybot and NAV can't find anything then I'm a bit stumped at the mo too. Have you checked what programs are loaded at bootup (gave method in last thread)? I think one of these programs must be causing it. Try the process-of-elimination method on these too.

You could try disconnecting all your non-essential hardware.I once came across a similar situation that turned out to be a faulty CDRW drive that was drawing on all the resources.

Another thought. Your flickering mouse cursor may be due to a faulty graphics card. Try updating the card drivers, and also direct X.

toadoftoadhall 21:30 11 Jun 04

...but I've shut down every program in turn, right down to explorer. I've also installed a program called SwatIt which shuts down all those hidden programs.

I have just installed the latest drivers for my Nvidia GeForce2 Ti card and have checked my Direct X - it's version 9.0b.

(The weird thing is that when donwloading, the flickering cursor stops.)

As for whats telling me my CPU is running at 100%, it's the processor usage chart in System Monitor.

I bet someone is now going to tell me I've been totally thick, and that this always shows 100%...

Eastender 21:56 11 Jun 04

A similar thread click here

DerekR 22:00 11 Jun 04

Loose it - its useless, and does use up valuable memory and CPU - its just a modified piece of adware by NTL which can, and does give them a lot more info on the structure and content of your PC than you know.

I ditched it, and bingo - my comp flew!

BTW - I`m on NTL 600.. and now have no complaints

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…