Coverting drives to NTFS

minka 19:40 16 Mar 07

Ive just read a thread regarding 'slow'PC performance and it was recommended to convert drives to NTFS.What does this mean and would it improve my IBM thinkpad R31 with memory upgrade of "2X512mb.
Thanx in advance.

Technotiger 19:48 16 Mar 07

Hi, NTFS is the normal drive format for XP, if you don't have XP, not worth doing.

minka 19:51 16 Mar 07

I have XP so will it be worth it and will it change anything????

Technotiger 20:03 16 Mar 07

Hmm, if you have XP, then surely your drive is already NTFS? Have you checked?

minka 20:19 16 Mar 07

Sorry Im a bit of an amateur!!!How do I check???

Technotiger 20:24 16 Mar 07

OK - in My Computer, right-click on your C: drive icon and then click on Properties, you will then see
Type - Local Disk and File System NTFS. It is unlikely to be the other main Format (File System) which is FAT32.

moorie- 20:24 16 Mar 07

right click on the drive and select properties

minka 20:29 16 Mar 07

Ok guys thanks for all the help,I have checked and I am already using NFTS.Many appologies.

Technotiger 20:36 16 Mar 07

No apologies necessary - we all had to learn, the same as you.

If you want to try to speed things up a bit, I would recommend a bit of Disk maintenance, like in Internet Explorer>Tools>Internet Options and delete Cookies and delete Files. Also you could right-click on an empty part of your desktop and then hover curser over 'Arrange icons by' and then click on Run Desktop clean-up Wizard. Then you could download IObit SmartDefrag from click here to defrag your hard-drive. Doing all that should certainly make a difference to your speed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…