Cover Disc Disappointments

provider 2 15:29 22 Jan 07

Having eyeballed several interesting-looking problems on this month`s cover disc, I can`t help wondering how many of them will not be available to me as an AOL Broadband user.click here
Might I suggest that PC Advisor testing runs a check to see if these programs` web links will work?

provider 2 15:32 22 Jan 07

Programs not "problems", sorry.

provider 2 15:45 22 Jan 07

Either that or stick a small label on the outside saying "AOL Broadband users need not apply."

RickyC :-) 16:46 22 Jan 07

Hi provider 2,

You raise an interesting point. AOL users do tend to encounter problems with registering software from cover discs.

Fortunately there is a very simple solution to this. Just set up an alternative email account with one of the free providers (yahoo, hotmail, etc.) and use this account for registering programs you're installing from the cover disc.

When we offer a program which requires online registration, within a day or two several thousand of our readers will have registered to receive a serial number. In the past, AOL has mistakenly assumed that the relevant software publisher is sending spam - simply because so many emails with the same subject (and from the same domain) are going through their mail servers in a very short space of time.

I would recommend that you create an account with Yahoo or Hotmail (or one of the others) and use this email address when you register for software.

kind regards

Richard
Cover Disc Editor

provider 2 17:07 22 Jan 07

Richard,
Many thanks for your response. Your explanation of what is going on does much to clarify the situation.
The workaround you suggest, however does not always solve the problem. I have used my Yahoo account with some success when registering programs but it doesn`t always work.
In addition there are some programs that, even when registered by this method, will not respond to their web links.

provider 2 17:09 22 Jan 07

I wondered if,perhaps, this had something to do with AOL`s DNS server.... pure uninformed guesswork, of course.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…