Couple of small irritants that I would like some help with

Housten 16:27 10 Mar 15

Good Afternoon, Gentlemen,

I have two irritations at the moment – well two amongst many – that I am hoping some kind person can help me with.

I use IE 11 and although it is up and running fine – well as far as I can see – Microsoft seemed to have decided that I, and no doubt many, many others, do not know how we want it set up!! I say this because it seems every fourth or fifth time I start up IE 11 a box pops up asking me if I want to do a custom install or a standard install, and there are only the two options. To do it now, or it will ask me later. I do not see anything other than compliance or does anyone know of a way of stopping it asking?

A second irritancy is that I recently used Ccleaner and, on pressing tools, suddenly found out that there are a lot of programmes on my computer that I do not remember installing – although with my memory going the way it is I could have installed them some time ago and completely forgotten about them! – and as my computer is slowing down I have decided that I should uninstall those I do not need, or want or require! I was wondering how to decide which when I had what I can only call a sudden and blinding thought. The internet!! Can anyone tell me if this is a good idea because what I need to know is what a programme does, and whether it is part of another programme or is necessary to have it installed so another programme will actually work. If going on to the internet to do this means I can gradually work my way through these programmes and get rid of them, that would be very helpful. But what I am also concerned about is if there is a way of asking on the internet that will tell me what the programme does, what other programmes need it and what would happen if I deleted the programme.

Any advice or help or information anyone can give me will be most gratefully received.

Many thanks in advance to anyone who replies.

onthelimit1 16:51 10 Mar 15

I wouldn't worry too much about getting rid of them, but stop them starting through ccleaner, tools. startup. I've only left antivirus on startup, and everything works well.

robin_x 21:22 10 Mar 15

If you want to fix IE11, make sure you have another browser installed, like Firefox or Chrome, in case of problems.

All I can think of is an Uninstall/Reinstall, but I see you can get Repair option as well.

Download a fresh copy of IE11 anyway.

click here

click here find out what old installed programs do, you just have to Google. Or ask here if still unsure.

---

To

Housten 12:13 14 Mar 15

Good Afternoon, Gentlemen,

Having a 'dodgy' memory at the moment, I had 'forgotten' we were having some friends staying with us. This is my only 'excuse'/reason for not coming back before to thank you for your replies, for which I am very grateful. So many thanks to you both for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5