a couple of questions about Skype..

Ikelos 08:58 09 Mar 06

hi, before i buy a phone I thought i would set it up and give it a try, using a mic and the laptop speakers, but, there is a very bad echo (feedback) when i speak into the mic it all gets repeated a moment later, is that because of the mic and speakers or is it because the laptop is connected to BB wirelessly...so to recap, do skype phones work ok on a wireless network? and is the feedback due to the mic and speakers...

thank you...........

anchor 09:06 09 Mar 06

I have never used Skype, but I have experienced the same echo feedback using MSN & Yahoo Messenger.

The best remedy is to use a headset that combines microphone and earphones.

Alternatively, try to place your speakers away from the mic:, and turn the volume as low as possible. A case of trial and error.

anskyber 09:14 09 Mar 06

That has been my experience also. I use MSN Messenger and also Skype. I resolved the problem as anchor suggests by placing the mic (which is built in to my webcam )behind the speakers which in turn face forward. Result clean audio and no echo.

Ikelos 09:23 09 Mar 06

thank you both fot the help, I will try again.

thank you

Ikelos 09:24 09 Mar 06

fot= for ;-)

Arnie 09:51 09 Mar 06

The problem you are experiencing is due to acoustic feedback. You may have heard the same problem when a person using a microphone in a club has to reduce the system amplification to prevent "howlround".

A headset is always recommended with VoIP.

Argos sell a Plantronics headset for £17.99.

click here

go to device manager check for any conflicts
go to control panel check sounds & audio devices make sure the balances are correct if only one is out it can give distortion. true speakers should be in front of webcam slightly

I use skype frequently to talk to family in Au and varies parts of UK. avoid excessive of voice mail messages can cost pennies keep your skype prog simple no extras keeps cost down
Other than these small idiosyncrasies no problems enjoy thoroughly recommended

Ikelos 10:12 09 Mar 06

thanks for the help. i will try it all again tonite when my son gets home, he started the whole thing off, because he does not have a landline phone at home. just his broadband connection. kids who would have them :-)

bellababy 10:46 09 Mar 06

Ikelos.Try also ViopCheap <click here>
which will give free calls to landlines to many countries all over the world once you make you initial deposit.

keef66 11:16 09 Mar 06

we use skype out to phone sister-in law's landline in NZ at a penny a minute. When they get a pc / Skype it will be free. Currently using desktop microphone and speakers. As others have said, you need to keep the mike as far as practical from the speakers, preferably behind them, and adjust the speaker volume to avoid feedback (trickier for you with a laptop). We'll be getting a headset shortly.
Call quality is excellent; apart from a very slight delay it's hard to accept that you're speaking so someone on the other side of the planet.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac