a couple of queries

rerytnai 14:22 30 Jun 07

hi, first of all, i apologise for my first question, i've read through alot of other members queries, and it appears no one is as daft as me...

what is a BIOS and should i leave it alone?

secondly,

i want to upgrade my machine, i have just bought a dvd writer, but i don't think my computer can handle it, it plays cds fine, and it plays the video from a dvd, very jumpy, but no sound.

according to system properties
my system is....

microsoft windows xp pro 2002 service pack 2

the computer is...

AMD Duron(tm)Processor
747MH 368 MB of RAM

VoG II 14:36 30 Jun 07

BIOS click here and leave well alone.

try this codec pack
click here
or this player
click here
see if that solves your playback issue

price up some ram from
click here
384 mb is very tight,try another 256mb or 512mb

rerytnai 14:42 30 Jun 07

ok, i'll leave that alone, thanks,

Totally-braindead 14:46 30 Jun 07

Let Crucial scan your computer from *THE RAVEN*s link and it will tell you if you can add more memory, you might not have a slot free, and don't touch the BIOS.

rerytnai 14:49 30 Jun 07

more ram is on my shopping list, but what about the processor, can i upgrade that without buying a new motherboard?

Totally-braindead 14:54 30 Jun 07

Possibly, but it will be differcult, if its a Duron CPU it might be socket A and if so you MIGHT be able to put in a faster Sempron processor, if its the socket before socket A you might as well forget it.
Download SIW or Belarc or Everest and give us the make and model of the motherboard, we should then be able to tell you if its possible or not click here click here click here
It all depends on what socket the CPU is and whether the board can support a faster chip.

rerytnai 14:59 30 Jun 07

Motherboard ID 62-0425-001437-00101111-071595-SiS730S$MS8308E_MS8308E RELEASE 04/25/2001 S

Motherboard Name Matsonic MS8308E(P)

Totally-braindead 15:13 30 Jun 07

Board click here check visually its the same and CPUs and from this it can take up to an XP 2000 socket A processor click here but you might need to update the BIOS. I could find no mention of Semprons so perhaps this is as far as you can go, unless someone else can help here. You could email Matsonic and see if they answer.
Failing that the only way you can get a socket A 2000 XP chip is second hand off the likes of Ebay. They are cheap but I wonder if its worth it.

Totally-braindead 15:18 30 Jun 07

I've just had a rummage. I have here a Duron 1400, is yours a 750? If it is and you want to try the 1400 email me via the envelope next to my username and I'll send it to you. I know it works, you'll just have to buy some thermal paste to change over chips.
Let me know if you want it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…