Country of origin of Email

bumpkin 10:40 10 May 15

Is there an easy way to ascertain the geographical source of Emails?

rdave13 11:20 10 May 15

Have a look at this info.

bumpkin 11:58 10 May 15

Thanks rdave, reading that and using "Whois" I was was able find that it came via an Ebay server in USA but not its origin.

rdave13 12:23 10 May 15

Just tried it with an email from Booking. com I had on Gmail. Took a while to read from bottom up to get the IP address. I just typed the IP address in google and used the first result on the page. I'll link to the result but not sure it will work, click here.

If the link doesn't work properly I've copied the info. Hostname: o12.sg.booking.com

IP Address: 167.89.6.174

Country Code: US (USA)

Region: Colorado

City: Boulder

Local time: 10 May 05:17 (MDT-0600)

Postal Code: 80302

Latitude: 40.0481

Longitude: -105.3842

1]: [click here

bumpkin 12:59 10 May 15

Thanks, tried that but once again could only get the location of the server. Somewhere during my tracing efforts it brought up a small bit of Chinese so my conclusion is that it originated in China which is what I suspected by the way things were phrased. Nothing wrong with that in itself but there was a definite "implication" that the company was UK based.

Thanks for your help dave.

alanrwood 13:55 10 May 15

Quite few of the eBay sellers are Chinese companies and they are administered from either Hong Kong or Shen Zhen. However they despatch the items from a UK warehouse. You need to check on the offer page where the item is located. If in China they usually say so with a longer delivery time.

bumpkin 14:38 10 May 15

alanrwood, that would appear to be the case in my instance and delivery from UK was next day so cannot fault that. Trying to resolve a problem with the item when dealing with China I am not finding easy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5