counterfeit windows xp

sparkle72 16:19 17 Jun 06

i bought my computer earlier this year and just lately i keep getting the message i am a victim of software counterfeiting
how can i resolve this without added cost?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:22 17 Jun 06

It may or maynot be a problem some large companies use batch loading of windows on their hard drives and the WGA detects these as coumterfit.

What make model and where did you buy from?

SANTOS7 16:23 17 Jun 06

It won't if your not, it will if you are...

click here

rodriguez 16:26 17 Jun 06

Take it back to the shop and tell them to give you an original XP disc. If they say no, click here to report them to Microsoft and to the police, as what they have done is illegal. A lot of small shops will install 1 copy of Windows on all their computers to save money. However by law each machine needs a seperate licence. There is a new Windows Update component that downloads onto every computer with a Windows installation that reports if the copy of Windows is fake and this should scare a lot of shops into doing things properly and installing a legal copy of Windows on all machines. Taking it back to the shop and demanding a proper copy and threatening legal action should do the trick.

VoG II 16:29 17 Jun 06

Check that WGA is working click here

sparkle72 16:33 17 Jun 06

i bought computer from a man who advertised in my local paper so is there anything i can do

rodriguez 16:38 17 Jun 06

Sounds like he either bought the computer from a shop that did an illegal installion or he installed a pirate copy himself. You need to get in contact with him and ask him where he bought it from and whether he reinstalled Windows - try not to tell him about it being reported as counterfeit because he could fob you off. If he says he got it from a shop, then find out what shop it was and go to them about it. If he says he installed Windows himself ask him where he got it from. In either case, tell Microsoft about it - if the bloke you bought it from doesn't want the police breaking down his door at 6 am it's his own fault for installing a pirate copy of Windows.

Diodorus Siculus 16:38 17 Jun 06

Do you still have his details and have you spoken to him?

spuds 17:20 17 Jun 06

" if the bloke you bought it from doesn't want the police breaking down his door at 6 am it's his own fault for installing a pirate copy of Windows".

Would suggest that a little bit of over-reaction, unless Bill Gates as special friends in very high places :o)

Best to do, what as already been suggested. Ask the person who sold you the computer about the authenticity of the Windows XP supplied. Doe's the case of the computer have a sticker attached?.

rodriguez 17:25 17 Jun 06

It was a bit of an over reaction unless we've just uncovered a huge piracy ring and this bloke was the leader :-P Anyway the computer should be traced back to where it was bought, especially if there is no sticker on the side with the product key on it.

sparkle72 17:30 17 Jun 06

i called the person i bought the cpmputer off and he thinks it might be a virus and it may have to be re installed he said which would cost £30

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…