Counter-strike problem: Could not load client.dll

john63 12:26 24 Dec 05

I'm having a big problem trying to play Counter-Strike over LAN. I origionally had CS1.5, but when I tried to create a game on "Play on LAN", it came up with an error message something like: "Could not load library client.dll". I had a look on some forums which advised dowloading the latest update (CS1.6). However, thisa seems to be called Steam. Anyway, I downloaded, installed and registered Steam on both computers and Counter-Strike still doesn't work! Help!

Skyver 12:41 24 Dec 05

Is it based on the HalfLife 1 engine? If you load Halflife single player, what version number do you see? The last manual update brought it to version 1.1.0.0 I believe - click here
Steam ought to have updated everything on it's own but it's worth a look anyway.

john63 12:45 24 Dec 05

Where do I find the version number?

Skyver 12:50 24 Dec 05

It should appear in the bottom right corner of the main menu. Either that or search for HL.exe, right click it for Properties, select Version.

john63 14:02 24 Dec 05

I have version 1.1.0.8

Skyver 14:15 24 Dec 05

No probs there then..all I could find is the same answer you got.3 suggestions; do a search for client.dll in your halflife folder and compare version numbers - there appears to be a different one for halflife and any mods/extensions on my system. Back up the one in your counterstrike folder and copy any new one you find into it's place.or get Filemon (click here) and allow it to run in the background while running CS long enough to get the error, then quit and view the log to see where CS is trying to load the file from, and if it's actually succeeding but perhaps loading the wrong version.
Worst case scenario is uninstall CS, uninstall HL, re-install HL, update with patches, re-install CS.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…