count down at boot up, can i stop it?

pc mad 00:48 01 Apr 03

hi i have just installed xp on a newly formatted hard drive, i had a few problems with the installation but thanks to the pc advisor help room and the very kind and helpfull people that use it, i over came these problems, how ever when i boot my pc up the following comes up " select the operating system to start" giving me two choices microsoft xp pro or microsoft windows,if i select windows the pc boots up to "c:\> c:\> i think this must be some thing to do with the problems i had on installation, can i remove this so it boots straight up in to xp pro, so i dont have to wait 30 seconds or press enter every time, many thanks

User-312386 00:51 01 Apr 03

have you checked in the BIOS that HDD is set to master?

pc moron 01:18 01 Apr 03

I had the same problem with an XP installation and it came down to problems during the actual install- have you cancelled an install?
If you have then you will have to format and re-install.

hugh-265156 01:36 01 Apr 03

i have xp home and i get the same on boot.it counts down from five and then bots.if i select microsoft windows it does not load.my jumpers are set to cable select not master this i believe enables me to set the drive as master or slave depending on which connecter i attach to.but i to would like to know why it gives me two choices.in control panel/advanced/start up & recovery you can set the time to display list of operating systems.select 0 and it just starts straight away but does not explain the choices.sorry if i hijacked your thread.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…