Could svchost.exe be a virus?

naggis 20:54 30 Mar 04

I have seen a thread recently which suggests that this file could be a virus. Every time xp start I am asked to give this program access to the net by ZoneAlarm. ZA will not remember what I told it when xp starts again. Is this because there is a problem? No virus shows when Norton Antivirus does a scan and Microsoft think that the application is theirs.
Anyone got any ideas?

VoG II 20:56 30 Mar 04

If it is in C:\windows\system32 it is (probably) a Windows file.If it is elsewhere, beware.

obbit 20:58 30 Mar 04

in task manager you should have 4 entries of svchost. any more and it could be a virus

naggis 21:00 30 Mar 04

VoG - thanks. The file is in System 32 so I assumed that it was ok. But the thread I saw plus the fact that ZoneAlarm is always asking for access permission, did make me wonder

Old Shep 21:02 30 Mar 04

When you press ctr/alt del you get more than one instance of svchost.exe running in your processes tab - not unusual. Go to this page click here click on the letter S and when you scroll down it will tell you which is a virus.

naggis 21:02 30 Mar 04

Obbit - have just checked and found 3 instances so could be ok.

obbit 21:07 30 Mar 04

have you got an anti-virus program such as AVG or norton.

try this online virus check.
click here

terendak_uk 21:09 30 Mar 04

are you sure? Please enlighten. I just checked mine and there is 5.Currently connected to the internet using yahoo and windows messenger, OE, Winamp and...gulp, PCA. svchostexe mem usages are
respectively ( 1-5) 2.9, 3.5, 1.9, 23, 2.9.
Be grateful for clarification. Cheers

VoG II 21:09 30 Mar 04

Don't know where the "magic number" of 4 comes from?

click here

romanab 21:14 30 Mar 04

click here this might ease your concern

romanab 21:18 30 Mar 04

Sorry,above response was for terendak_uk.

p.s. I also have 5

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…