Could not send email using wifi in Europe

goffer23 11:36 14 Mar 11

Took my laptop to France last year and was unable to send any emails despite being able to receive them and load web pages etc.
I am using Vista on a Dell Vostro and use Talktalk as my ISP.
Any thoughts on what I may have done incorrectly or potential problem areas?

rawprawn 11:42 14 Mar 11

Was there a requirement on the wi fi you used that SMTP (Outgoing Email) Requires Authentication.
There is a box to tick in settings.

Sea Urchin 11:58 14 Mar 11

You would need to change the settings for your outgoing server address to reflect the ISP being used with the WiFi signal you were using. Still TalkTalk for incoming (which is why that worked OK) but change the outgoing.

lotvic 12:08 14 Mar 11

If you move about a lot, it's probably easier to use your Webmail for sending. You can send yourself a copy if you want to have email contents on your laptop.

anchor 13:33 14 Mar 11

When travelling I have always found the same; incoming fine, outgoing impossible. As recommended, I use web-mail for outgoing; no problem.

Woolwell 13:34 14 Mar 11

As lotvic has stated it is easier to use webmail overseas. You can then reply to e-mails quickly without worrying about different smtp settings etc.

Batch 13:58 14 Mar 11

If you use webmail for sending as others have suggested, I'd recommend CC'ing or BCC'ing yourself on the emails so that you'll receive a copy back into your inbox on your computer.

goffer23 14:34 14 Mar 11

Many thanks one and all - web mail it is then since I will be on the move.
I note the comment on sending oneself a copy - that's a smart thougt.

Woolwell 14:41 14 Mar 11

Sending a copy is not necessary if you use imap instead of pop as you can read the sent box as well as the inbox from any system.

stlucia2 19:43 14 Mar 11

Excuse my innocence, but what is "web mail"? All email goes via the internet (the web), doesn't it?

I seem to be able to access my AOL and Madasafish accounts okay when I'm abroad -- receiving and sending -- so does that mean they're both web mail?

lotvic 20:36 14 Mar 11

Yes, AOL Mail is a free web-based email (webmail) service provided by AOL. The service is sometimes referred to as AIM Mail where AIM stands for AOL Instant Messenger which is AOL's instant messaging service click here

Webmail (or Web-based e-mail) is e-mail accessed via a web browser such as Internet Explorer, Firefox, as opposed to through a desktop e-mail client such as Microsoft Outlook, Outlook Express, Pegasus Mail, Mozilla's Thunderbird etc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…