Could not find any compatible 3D devices

Seadog 08:48 11 Jun 10

Occasionally when opening one of Windows games (Freecell, Chess Titans or Solitaire for example) I get an error "Could not find any compatible 3D devices" and the program won't open.
Rebooting the computer sorts it, or if I go to the nVidia control panel and click on settings reset, the program will then open but in low quality, then I have to manually change to high quality.
The nVidia graphics drivers are the latest available.
I am running Win 7 professional 64bit.
The problem is annoying more than anything else and I would just like to try and sort it if at all possible.
I have a laptop with an ATI graphics card and the same version of windows and there has never been any problems.
Could this be an nVidia conflict?

gengiscant 08:51 11 Jun 10

Sometimes the latest drivers are not necessarily the best drivers, you could try rolling back the drivers in device manager.

Seadog 09:07 11 Jun 10

Thanks for that, but I tried that as well (should have mentioned it, sorry) I have rolled back two sets of drivers to the original ones - or at least the first ones on the pc. There have only been three sets of drivers, the pc is six months old.
I can't remember the problem occurring with the original drivers when the pc was new, but it does now if I roll back to them!!

gengiscant 09:22 11 Jun 10

Being an ATI man myself, currently running 2 HD 5770's, so am not sure how the Nvidia control panel works.
I did have a problem with the ATI Catalyst control center with a corrupt installation which gave me some wierd problems.
Might be worth a look.
Do you play other games, what is your graphics card?

T I M B O 10:56 11 Jun 10

Is this a home brew or factory made computer?

Seadog 12:15 11 Jun 10

Its home built - a shuttle sx38 pro barebones with 1Gb nVidia 9800gt graphics card, Q9400 quad core 2.66 processor and 4Gb RAM, 2 x 500Gb HDDs.
I don't play games much - although it was built to be able to. I have played the likes of Modern warfare 2 with no bother.
Like I said, the problem is more annoying than anything and is not there all the time. It just seems to appear every now and then.

T I M B O 12:21 11 Jun 10

If you dont have the old drivers at hand, it is possible to get them if you so wish. I tried an update some months ago, my graphics went mad, so i went back to the old ones.

Seadog 12:46 11 Jun 10

The original drivers are still on the pc - or at least the ones that originally came with the card. I have updated them twice since. However, if I roll back to the original ones the problem is still there.
Maybe if I uninstall all the drivers then re-install the original ones it might be ok.
However, I can live with it for now, I was asking in case it is a known bug or something with nVidia and Win 7 64 bit.

Then again it might have something to do with the DVI/usb KVM switch I use - I have my old pc and this one linked and I did have a problem with the graphics on the Xp machine after updating those drivers (also nVidia) - on switching to the Xp machine the screen resolution reverted to the lowest setting however, rolling back the drivers cured that problem.

gengiscant 16:39 11 Jun 10

Just read your last post and I am tending to agree that it might well be the usb KVM switch,I cannot remember what make of one I had but I had to alter the settings on one of my linked PC's. I upgraded to a Belkin which seem to solve the problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…