Could it be Norton?

BRFCIDB 11:55 03 Jan 08

My PC keeps "hanging" (locking up and I have to switch off at mains to re-boot). I have had it into a repair center and they have replaced the RAM, Power supply, etc etc. The only thing they didn't replace was the Motherboard because itS a HP "special". HP have done bios updates etc, and I have run tests with PC Doctor that AND all is well. It hangs every few hours, say 3-6 hours. When playing a DVD, on the internet or just left on.

As a last resort I have uninstalled Norton, do you think it could be that? The PC is 3 years old and cost around £1200. I have included some test data below.

Any help appreciated before it goes to the TIP!!!

Processor : Intel Pentium 4
Frequency : 3200 MHz - (current : 3200.10 MHz)
Support : mPGA-478
Data Cache L1 : 16 KB
Trace Cache L1 : 12 Kµops
Cache L2 : 1024 KB
Voltage : 1.348 V
Processor Temperature : 37 °C
Processor Fan : 847 rpm
FPU Coprocessor : Present
Processor activity : : 0%

Monitoring Chip : SMSC LPC47M192
Voltage CPU : 1.35 V
+5V Voltage : 5.13 V
+12V Voltage : 11.94 V
Chassis Fan : 2275 rpm
Processor Fan : 847 rpm
Processor Temperature : 37 °C
Mainboard Temperature : 32 °C
Power/Aux Temperature : 36 °C
:
Hard Disk Temperature WDC WD2500BB-22FTA0 : 43 °C

johndrew 13:50 03 Jan 08

How much RAM do you have?

Which OS (presumably XP, but Home/Pro and SP?)?

Is the problem still there with Norton removed? If you need more time to confirm this but still need to go online with the PC, why not use a free anti-virus like AVG and free anti-malware such as Spyware Terminator/Spybot S&D/Ad-Aware SE.

Your HDD temperature looks a little high to me, my Western Digital runs at around 32 °C.

BRFCIDB 14:38 03 Jan 08

Just run some software called (Driver updates.com)
They say I need these updates but want $29 to download, what do you think?
Would these cause my problem?

Ian

Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24DE
Intel(R) 82801EB USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 24DD
Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D7
Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D4
Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D2
Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC
Intel(R) 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers
Intel(R) 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers
Canon iP6600D
Sound, video and game controllers
Hauppauge WinTV-PVR PCI II (Encoder-16)
Creative SB Audigy 2

DieSse 15:05 03 Jan 08

"Would these cause my problem?"

That's impossible to say - but they're best done anyway.

You can get all the updates free from the respective manufacturers sites - no need to pay anything.

BRFCIDB 16:49 03 Jan 08

Thanks but can Intel search for updates for my computer, a bit like Windows does?

Cheers

Ian

DieSse 22:24 03 Jan 08

"Thanks but can Intel search for updates for my computer, a bit like Windows does?"

No - you identify what motherboard/chipset you have, then go to their site and download the latest software.

Or you can go to the HP site and let the HP sitye tell you what is the latest software you need for that motherboard.

It will take some effort on your part, but you will save money - plus you will be certain that you've got the latest software.

birdface 23:58 03 Jan 08

You have uninstalled Norton.Did you use the Norton removal tool.If not you will still have a lot of Norton files on your computer.Run the removal tool and then run C Cleaner to get rid of any bits left over.click here

Totally-braindead 01:14 04 Jan 08

Whatever you do. Do not pay for updates to any drivers. Its a con. If you want new drivers you go to the manufacturer website and get FREE drivers from there. If your PC is an HP then you can get them from HP.

Personally if its a branded PC such as yours I would just get the updated drivers from the HP site. You can perhaps get more up to date ones from the Intel site but they might cause problems. The ones you get from HP will be right and will work properly, the others might not.

Theres many things that can cause it to hang but the time helps somewhat. I would think that because of the time it takes to lockup as it were that its unlikely that overheating is an issue for example.

Just a suggestion but have you tried checking the power options in Control Panel and putting everything to always on. What you describe could be the PC going into hybernation mode although it shouldn't do this if the PC is in use at the time. Quite often PCs shut themselves down when not in use and seem to find it differcult to get themselves back up and running.

Only alternatives are. If it is a recent problem try system restore and if it is a longer term problem perhaps consider reinstalling everything from scratch - but that depends on you having a proper windows disk.

Giggle n' Bits 01:31 04 Jan 08

go to HP UK Support & Drivers (Search on Google)
Search for your machine by looking on the Front or one of other panels on the case with a number that may end un .uk or similar.
I perosnally would check all available updates and BIOS, I know with some HP models a BIOS update is required when upgrading memory.
Their a a few things what can cause your problems.

xania 08:57 04 Jan 08

If you've had the same installation for 4 years, it may be that your system is just clogged up and needs a rebuild. Have you tried re-installing the OS and then all your software in order - don't forget to back up all your data to an off-line media first as the re-install wil completely wipe your primary partition.

BRFCIDB 10:55 06 Jan 08

Many thanks for all your help.

I have done all the updates on HP and the power option is always on, I have also done all the BIOS updates. I switched it on this morning and the locked up within 3 mins, just as I was going on this website. Yesterday I swapped the memory but it stil locked up. I have had this problem a year ago and it's worked ok for 12 months (freezing say once a week) but now is more like once every hour. I have uninstalled most of the software, but I am sure it's a hardware problem.

Not sure what to do next, perhaps I have to give up and buy a new base unit. One last thing, when it first started freezing I could just turn it of and turn it back on, now it will not come back on unless I turn power at the mains off for say 2-3 mins!!!

Thanks

Ian

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…