Could dust be the reason for my PC crashing

erkmatrix 13:13 03 Mar 04

Its been happening ever since I downloaded the full windows service pack update but have tryed everything to stop it doing this and still randomly crashes, someone said it could be dust inside, whats the best way to get rid of the dust.

I'm on a only a year old computer and running windows XP Home, could it be lack of RAM, how do I check the RAM, sorry newbie here.

I don't think its over heating as it still crashes sometimes not long after switching it on.

Thought it might be something to do with upadating my graphics card drivers but downloaded the new catalyst from the ATI site for my Radeon 9500 card and it still crashes.

Also could it be my motherboard need updating, how do I find out what motherboard I have to get it updated.

Really appreciate help here

Cheers
Phil

hugh-265156 13:26 03 Mar 04

over time dust builds up and can cause overheating problems.use a can of compressed air to blow away any dust,hover inside your case and use a cotton bud moistened with some isopropanol alcohol to clean fans etc.i do mine once a month,takes half an hour and keeps it squeaky.

im thinking its maybe not dust causing this though.dodgy software is a more likely cause of restarts etc.

have a look in start/control panel/performance and maintenance/administrative tools/event viewer

click the system and application tabs and see if any errors are listed here which may help pinpoint the problem.

hugh-265156 13:27 03 Mar 04

hover = hoover :-)

hugh-265156 13:32 03 Mar 04

ps.

xp is set up to restart when a really bad crash occours.this is not very useful for tracing the problem.

to get a useful error message displayed on the screen instead of a restart click start/control panel/performance and maintenance/system/advanced/start up and recovery/settings untick "automatically restart"

next time it crashes you should get a blue screen with and error displayed.note this down exactly as on screen and type it into the search(KB) box click here to look it up.

erkmatrix 13:35 03 Mar 04

Hi, no it doesn't restart itself, the screen just freezes and can't move the mouse, also can't press ctrl alt and delete.

erkmatrix 13:43 03 Mar 04

yeah also crashed even when I was in safe mode if thats any help. And as I say it doesn't restart itself, only thing to do is switching it off at the back of the PC, it does seem to happen more regular now though before when it started doing it it was like once every three days now its like 6 times a day. Quite annoying when in middle of something.

Diemmess 13:51 03 Mar 04

Sorry cannot remember details, but a similar instability problem posted on this forum turned out to be a clash of wills between XP (updated) and a peripheral gizmo.

I slipped this in because my guess is that heat is not to blame this time

hugh-265156 13:51 03 Mar 04

did you check event viewer for errors?

erkmatrix 14:31 03 Mar 04

These are the errors I found in the event viewer system.
Error

Explanation The specified service did not respond to a control request (such as pause, continue, interrogate, or stop) from Service Control Manager within the specified time.

The service might be stuck in a loop or waiting on a system resource, such as additional memory. User Action To determine why the service is unresponsive, do the following:

Verify that the service is configured correctly. Verify that the system is in a healthy state, for example, it is not running low on resources. Version: 5.2 Symbolic Name: EVENT_TRANSACT_TIMEOUT Message: Timeout (%1 milliseconds) waiting for a transaction response from the %2 service.

Product: Windows Operating System ID: 7011 Source: Service Control Manager Version: 5.0 Component: System Event Log Symbolic Name: EVENT_TRANSACT_TIMEOUT Message: Timeout (%1 milliseconds) waiting for a transaction response from the %2 service. Version: 5.0 Symbolic Name: IO_ERR_CONTROLLER_ERROR Message: The driver detected a controller error on %1. Explanation This problem is typically caused by a failing cable that connects the drive to the computer. User Action Replace the cable.

Explanation The specified drivers did not load correctly. The driver might not be in the expected location. User Action Do all of the following:

Verify that the drivers are configured correctly. Verify that the computer is running the most current version of the drivers. Version: 5.2 Symbolic Name: EVENT_BOOT_SYSTEM_DRIVERS_FAILED Message: The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: %1 Explanation The specified drivers did not load correctly. The driver might not be in the expected location. User Action Do all of the following:

Verify that the drivers are configured correctly. Verify that the computer is running the most current version of the drivers.

erkmatrix 14:34 03 Mar 04

Would be interested to find that link about conflict with the new updated service pack from Microsoft , I've not installed any peripherals though so don't know if it could be the same problem.

hugh-265156 14:38 03 Mar 04

have a look in start/control panel/performance and maintenance/system/hardware/device manager

are there any yellow exclamation marks here?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…