Could this be legal??

muscic lover 18:16 07 May 05

I have just bought a new lap top PC. And have got windows XP and Norton Internet Security on disk with the machine.... NOT bundled with it but bought at the same time (the Lap top is to be the recipient of these wonderful programmes).The Laptop has no Operating system at the Moment. (and the battery is charging up as we speak!!)
What i need to know is... can i legally load these onto my desktop PC and use them on that as well?? Or should i buy them again to use on my desktop PC?

Any ideas? thanks in advance!!!

You guys have been great in helping in the past too!

pinnicat 18:20 07 May 05

I'm bumping this to see what you guys and gals have to say about this....(Does Bill Gates live next door to you?)

mattyc_92 18:20 07 May 05

That wounldn't be legal, as the license is for one machine... You can only have the program on one machine at any given time...

You can buy "special" licenses from the company so you can legally install the program on more than one machine...

selfbuild 18:25 07 May 05

One machine = one license.... so no you can't legally install XP or Norton onto two machines using the same disk unless it's the corporate edtion or unless the ELUA states diferantly.....

pinnicat 18:27 07 May 05

mattyc_92.....would you do it...and what would the result be ?(hyperthetically of course)...if any.
(sorry to hi-jack your thread Music Lover)

keith-236785 18:29 07 May 05

please check with micro$oft, the last occasion this was raised micro$oft had relaxed the rules allowing ONE windows to be loaded onto a desktop AND a laptop providing they were registered to the same person/address etc. but as we know, micro$oft keep changing the goalposts so please check with them.

best of luck m8

mattyc_92 18:37 07 May 05

It would be tempting if you couldn't afford another copy of it (copy as in brought from PC World)....

If companies sold them cheaper (especially Microsoft), then there would be less people getting the programs illegally... I mean, I needed Microsoft Windows XP Professional a few years ago to be re-installed, and my dad had to spend £300 to buy it from PC World.... I think that Windows isn't worth that much, but... still, I asked my dad to buy it me (as I needed it for coursework and didn't have no money, so it was an "early" Xmas present)...

I think that most people just can't afford it, so they download it or buy a copy of it from a mate.... And after a while, they get used of getting an illegal copy (as it is cheaper) and don't even what to buy the £30 programs (or even the £5 games you can get), so they just download..... and the loop goes on...

Belatucadrus 20:06 07 May 05

Check the license terms on Norton, some Anti virus software permits a copy on both desk and laptop machines as long as they aren't run simultaneously.

DieSse 20:17 07 May 05

WinXP requires activating, and can only be activated on one system - what happens if you try to activate it on two different systems, i don't know - but it would be cotrary to the terms of the standard license.

The possibility to install on a deskyop AND a laptop only applies to MSOffice, AFAIK.

Belatucadrus 00:57 08 May 05

Quote from the avast! AV license

"The primary user of each computer on which the Software is installed or used may also install the Software on one home or portable computer. However, the Software may not be used on the secondary computer by another person at the same time the Software on the primacy computer is being used."

Some AV allows two, some doesn't check EULA.

dogbreath1 09:02 08 May 05

Eula XP Home click here
Eula XP Pro click here
Eula NAV click here
That'll make it clear!:)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…