Could anyone help me please?

BigMan24 21:07 11 Sep 04

Hi folks,

I want to reformat my hard drive, I’ve not done it before. I want to do it to get loadsa junk off my computer and start over with a clean slate (to coin a phrase). Is it quite an easy thing to do? And if so, could you give me, or point me in the direction of some good step by step instructions?

The only thing that worries me is that when I bought my computer I never got a copy of Windows XP with it, I only got a system restore cd. Does this mean that I cannot reformat my hard drive without going out and buying another copy of windows?

Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Thanks.

stalion 21:11 11 Sep 04

info here,also if you back up your data before you do a format you won't lose it.To install xp again you will have to purchase another copy of windows
click here

JayDay 21:12 11 Sep 04

Have you tried booting up with the system restore disk in the CD/DVD Drive? You will probably get the option to do a complete reinstall.

Make sure the BIOS is set so it searches the cd drive during boot-up.

I have never used a manufacturers system restore disk but I understand it is for situations just like yours. It should put your system back to how it was when you purchased it.

Good luck.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:40 11 Sep 04

XP will be on a hidden partion of the drive use the restore disk and format C:\ to clear the normal partion where the installed opsytem resides. then use the restore diskto reinstall XP

BigMan24 21:40 11 Sep 04

Thanks for the quick reply!

How do I set up the bios so it scans the cd drive during boot up?

Thanks again!

VoG II 21:49 11 Sep 04

First you need to enter the BIOS. This normally means pressing a key, or combination of keys, immediately after switch-on. A message to this effect usually flashes up on the screen when you switch on, such as "To enter setup press Del". Other common BIOS codes are listed at click here.

When the BIOS screen appears you will see a set of menu options. Look for one labelled Boot or Startup and select the item Boot Order, or First Boot; this will be set to HD0, HD1 or the serial number of your hard disc drive.

Change the setting to read CD, CD-Rom or the serial number of your CD/DVD-Rom drive, Save the Change and Exit the BIOS. Open the CD-Rom drive, insert your XP disk and restart your computer.

BigMan24 22:34 11 Sep 04

Will using this restore disk be just the same as formatting the hard drive then installing XP again?

For example when I put this restore disk in will it do a format for me, then get the system back to thew way it was when I got it?

I just want to make sure that its nice and clean and just like having a new computer!

Sorry for all the questions!

Thanks again, again!

stalion 22:37 11 Sep 04

if it is a restore disc to put your computer back to the factory settings it will do just that you will lose all your files but your computer will be as the day you got it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…