Cough, cough, legal?

rawprawn 18:25 03 Dec 03

My friend & his wife have decided to drag themselves into the 21st century. They have an old computer loaded with Windows 95. I have a full version of Windows 98 & the upgrade to ME.Assuming their system will take it, can I help them. I feel sorry for them as they are taking it seriously & are both going for basic lessons on computers, but they are not in a position to lay out the money for a new computer until they decide that they like it or are capable.

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:33 03 Dec 03

Strictly speaking...no.

G

Forum Editor 18:41 03 Dec 03

you mustn't do it, unless you no longer have the software installed on your computer - in which case you may provide your friends with the CD and licence and let them treat it as their own.

What you must not do is let them install the software and retain the CD yourself. The CD (and therefore the licence) must stay with the machine on which it's installed.

roy 18:58 03 Dec 03

Apart from the above I may be wrong but your friends' machine may not have enough memory to run Win 98. This might not be true but I have heard that win 98 needs 32 Mb of ram. Please correct me if I am wrong.

rawprawn 19:11 03 Dec 03

Oops forgot to say, these discs are from my old computer which I broke up & gave the useable bits such as HD (formatted) to charity. So The original Windows discs are no longer in use.I bought a new machine with XP loaded.

Pesala 19:19 03 Dec 03

It is the 21st century already.

Windows 98 is still in the 20th century, but if you scrapped your old PC then I don't see any problem as long as you give them the CD.

Djohn 19:22 03 Dec 03

As above, if you hand over the original disk and product key, then this will be acceptable.

If you are prepared to do this and require an office program, "Works Suite 2003" to compliment the O/S, then I may be able to help. j.

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:28 03 Dec 03

can't see a problem if you give/sell them the disc. Ebay groans with the weight of second-hand progs for sale.

G

rawprawn 19:29 03 Dec 03

Thanks for the kind offer, I will give them the discs, & if I can get their computer to work with them I may take you up on your offer of works suite. I will check & see if roy is right, their old computer may not have the guts for it but it's worth a try. Thanks for the imput folks.

Gr@h@m 19:33 03 Dec 03

Windows 98 is a large program, which may fill a small hard drive on it's own.

R4 19:35 03 Dec 03

Windows 98 SE is 21st century, XP is just NT upgraded to ensure that you buy new hardware and software that worked on 98Se/NT but not on XP

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced