Corsair Memory configuration help & Asus P6X58D-E

Audio~~Chip 12:31 10 Sep 10

Later today/tongiht I hope to have built my new machine using the following items which I request help with configuration please.

ASUS P6X58D-E Motherboard with Corsair Dominator 3 x 1GB DDR3.
TR3X6G1600C8D PC3-12800 (1600) Triple Channel. with Latency 8-8-8-24 & 1.65v this memory is the Heatsink package which has DHX & apparently XMP support. I got the memory from Scan, code:
LN25448

I will be running XP Pro 32bit.

The ASUS Manual states for using 1600 it says the following
Due to Intel CPU Spec DIMM Volatage below 1.65b is recomended to protect the CPU

It also states I after OC which I take it means overclock?

Ok, I don't want to OC my CPU like other people have to things like 4GHZ and only want to configure the BIOS where required to run the 1600 DDR3 correctly as ASUS states.

Can one of the advanced or familiar overclockers in the forum please help and guide me in english with what settings and where I need to adjust for my memory.

I will be back tonight hopefully and look forward to a bit of tweaking the BIOS safely. Oh and I am using a Noctua 12UP SE2 HSF which is going ot help things stay cooler.

citadel 18:15 10 Sep 10

is there not a memory ok button on the board, this ensures its ok.

Audio~~Chip 19:36 10 Sep 10

Yes there is that button on the motherboard. But with what I have read on the product info for the type of memory the board takes it states the memory has to be OC for 1600DDR3.

Will the Memory ok button automatically configure the bios perminantly for this memory in the BIOS, I was lead to believe I have to manually change some BIOS settings to run the memory correctly.

Audio~~Chip 19:37 10 Sep 10

I have got about half way, had problems fixing the motherboard in straight because of insulated Motherboard I/o sheild being fairly uneaven.

Will hopefully have it all together by Sat afternoon.

I am Spartacus 20:20 10 Sep 10

You won't need to overclock to set your RAM to 1600MHz as the memory dividers at the BCLK of 133 will give you the option to set it. Assuming your motherboard BIOS is similar to mine then go to the AI Tweaker menu and select an option from the list for DRAM Frequency.

I think I've mentioned this in another of your threads but the rule for QPI and DRAM Voltages is that there should not be more than 0.5v between the two e.g. if your DRAM requires 1.65v then the QPI voltage should be at least 1.15v (which is the Intel default anyway). You may need to increase the QPI voltage to run the RAM at 1600MHz anyway. The easiest way to get a clue what should be set rather than rely on the Auto settings is to select the XMP Profile from the AI Overclock Tuner. This will make the required changes to run the RAM at it's rated speed. You can use more than 1.65v on the RAM providing the above rule is followed. However it should be necessary as you're not overclocking it.

If you want to see what the voltage settings are then once you've installed Windows install the Asus Turbo V prgram which will display most of the key voltage settings.

Asus recommends that you set the main RAM timings (8-8-8-24) manually otherwise the XMP profile might be too aggressive and set the timings too low for stability under load.

I am Spartacus 20:25 10 Sep 10

Just to add. You will probably find that the BIOS sets a high voltage for the CPU. The Turbo V program will show you what it's set at. Reducing the voltage will help reduce heat levels so it's worth experimenting. As an example the BIOS in my system sets 1.22v on Auto but the CPU will run happily under load at just 0.97v.

Audio~~Chip 23:23 10 Sep 10

Everything you say is over my head a little so I will have to break it down into one thing at a time to understand it when I come to actually do it sometime Saturday.

The post you refered to was a year ago for a Socket 775 motherboard machine running windows 7. Then I was using Crucial memory which was fairly plug n play.

With this Corsair memory I am a little new too, and these settings are also not really easy to understand till I actually see the BIOS screens. All shut start to be clearer tomorrow.

Please be patient with us. If your not arround over the weekend then enjoy!

thanks for calling back also.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…