Corrupted 'Word' Documents?

dublincity 09:59 19 Feb 05

Following some PC problems, I have a large number of 'Word' Documents that will not open. The message comes up, "The document name or path is not valid. Try these suggestions, * Check the file permissions for the document or drive, * Use the File Open dialog box to locate the document, (C:\...... the path is then given).

I've no idea what 'file permissions' or 'File Open dialog box' mean. Can anybody help? Many Thanks.

Tycho 10:39 19 Feb 05

File permissions can be looked at by rught clicking on the icon and looking at Properties. The general tab (on W2K) gives Attributes which can be read only and hidden. There is much more on the Security tab where you can gie or deny access to any or all of the users on your computer.

T

dublincity 12:27 19 Feb 05

Thanks. The 'Read only' and 'Hidden' buttons are NOT checked.

I can't find any Security tab but in 'Advanced', both Archive and Index buttons are ticked - as is the 'Encrypt contents etc.' button. The 'Compress etc.' button is not ticked. I've fiddled around with all of these settings (that I don't understand) but the documents still won't open. All help will be appreciated. Thanks.

FelixTCat 13:52 19 Feb 05

The File Open dialog box is the window that opens in Word when you go to the Flle - Open menu item.

If you can't open the files in Word try to open them in another word processor, in Write or even in Notepad. Whilst Word adds a lot of formatting information, the body of the document is in plain text and can sometimes be recovered that way. If they were saved with passwords, this may not work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…