Corrupted Microsoft Word files & documents ~$

mad-friend 20:06 01 Aug 06

Please please help.
I have corrupted Microsoft Word 2002 files and documents which show as ~$ before rest of file title or ~WRL followed by numbers. When I open the file or document there are a couple of letters followed by a line or two of squares but no writing. I have followed the link to Microsoft, tried the advice to fix the corrupted files using /a switch. I had to click on RUN type in "C:Programfiles\MicrosoftOffice\Office10\Winword.exe" /a click okay. A box with a red X prevented me going any further. I am stumped.
The problem started when I tried to correct an assumed error which was "requesting virus scan" whenever I opened word. To fix this I clicked on RUN typed in sfc /scannow and this is when the corruption occurred. I have tried two system restores with no success.
These documents and files hold vital work. I didn't know how to back them up and have lost them. Please help me to recover them and fix my corruption.
Yours in desperation Trish.

wee eddie 23:37 01 Aug 06

~$yyyyyy is actually the desktop representation of an open Word Document, or "Temp" File, that has been Minimised.

When you close the original Document it asks you if you wish to save. You click Yes, it closes and that file disappears.

mad-friend 00:01 02 Aug 06

Hi wee eddie,
thankyou for your reply. When I open the document or file there is no writing only a couple of letters and a line of squares, no text. However I tried what you suggested and it made no difference there is just slightly more odd characters and squares.

wee eddie 07:40 02 Aug 06

That has come adrift from it's Base file, unless something very weird is going on.

While you have a Word document open, these files are created, when you save and close the Word document, these Temp (~) files usually disappear as their content is actually within the original file.

Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup, will rid you of most of them.

Diemmess 08:48 02 Aug 06

Assuming you don't have a virus somewhere, you may have a corrupt Normal.Dot (document template)

This is not only a cause of all sorts of sudden troubles with Word, but easily corrected.

Come out of Word and ... Start > Search for normal.dot
There should be only one copy on your computer and with a "W" icon.

Make a careful note of the path which is something like C:\Documents and Settings\YOU\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates ..... and delete this file.

Next time you open Word, it will generate a shiney new normal.dot and hopefully behave as it used to do.
The only change to the program will be that it returns to the default settings when you start new document, (font and page layout.)

FelixTCat 08:59 02 Aug 06

As wee eddie says, theses are temporary Word files that word has forgotten to delete when it closes. You can occasionally get them if Word crashes with an open document.

Close Word and delete them; they contain no useful data.

Regards,

Felix

Diemmess 09:47 02 Aug 06

The way I read it, he cannot access his documents at all.

From my experience straight uninstalling/re-installing Word makes no difference ... the fault remains.

mad-friend 13:28 02 Aug 06

Hi Diemmess, FelixTcat, wee eddie,
I just wanted to let you know the problem has now been resolved. I was given this link by a friend

click here

Although this is for windows 2000 I followed the instructions and it worked. I was able to recover the corrupted files and documents. I have saved all my files to disc (don't want to repeat that mistake again) I wanted to post this link in case anyone should ever be unlucky enough to experience what I have this last few days.

Thankyou for all your help and advice.
Yours sicnerely Trish. Mad-Friend

mad-friend 13:29 02 Aug 06

Just want to say this problem is now resolved.
Thankyou Mad-Friend

Diemmess 13:39 02 Aug 06

Everyone has learned something from this.

p;3 20:33 02 Aug 06

you need to tick this too as resolved; you are doing a lot of learning recently arnt you:))

and again well done!!

from p3(again::))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5