//some 3rd party need geo

Corrupted Icons in XP

Malverns 00:04 07 Oct 04

I am running XP Home. It keeps suffering from corrupted icons , vertical lines blotting out the icons on the desktop and elsewhere. Even the mouse pointer has lines around it. I try to repair icons with MS TweakUI which is only marginally successful. Soemtimes the problem seems to rectify itself after a period of "rest" but is most noticable after a SAfe Boot which I did recently to get rid of possible Trojans. I have run an up to date virus checker, ADAWARE, Spybot etc and apart from the odd dataminer and malware, nothing too serious. Is this a memory problem or another hardware issue , or a what ? Any suggestions on what I could do Much appreciated.

kspatto 00:48 07 Oct 04

sounds more like a hardware fault try swapping out some of your video components (if you have any spares or a friend who will lend them to you)you could also try degaussing your monitor(the manual will tell you how normally just pressing some of the adjusting buttons at the same time)is it ok on safe boot if yes is it ok on lower resolutions (if yes could be your graphics card overheating)

patto

Djohn 02:55 07 Oct 04

It may be the graphics that is causing the problem. Alter you resolution to a lower setting then back again, this sometimes provides the fix.

Malverns 19:12 08 Oct 04

Many thanks for kind advice

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…