Corrupt XP recovery disc

astrowitchee 14:40 24 Feb 08

I have had problems with my computer since new, having to fit a new hard drive when it was less than 6 months old. I have had to format and reinstall on numerous occasions its now 4 years old. The problem is the Windows XP disc that came with the computer, which would only format and reinstall is corrupt, so I have a licence for XP but no disc.
How can I get hold of a copy?
I borrowed an XP pro but this wont accept my licence!

Pamy 14:47 24 Feb 08

You could try cleaning the disk or try the people you bought the computer from

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:06 24 Feb 08

I borrowed an XP pro

Was yours Home or Pro or media centre?

You must borrow the correct disk

Terry Brown 16:15 24 Feb 08

Have you tried contacting Microsoft, and asking if they can supply a new disk for you. You will need the licence number (they will ask for it). They may supply a new disk at minimal cost.

You could also try the following.

Download a program called CDCHECK . There is a trial version free for 15 days, run the recovery option. This will attempt to copy the CD /DVD 'byte by byte' from your CD to a folder on the hard drive. You can then use that to burn a new CD (or run it from hard drive).
Terry

astrowitchee 19:25 24 Feb 08

Thanks, I have contacted Novatech will see if they are willing!
Otherwise I will try Microsoft.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…