corrupt windows xp system 32 folder

harpo63 15:18 20 Mar 08

Hello all

Have a couple of weeks ago installed norton internet security as part of the free gift from BT with BT broadband option 3. Followed all instructions, uninstalled all other spyware/antivrus etc.

Norton wont run a full system scan and when it does it hangs on the oobe folder within system32. It also hangs when scanning emails

have spent interminable hours on support lines using interactive support, installing, uninstalling etc and they have even tried remotely to fix after I gave them access to my machine.

Upshot from BT support is that they are saying there is nothing wrong with the program but that my windows system folder is corrupted and it needs repairing

Problem is my machine is a TIME system with no support anylonger. I dont have a windows cd nor did i receive a restore disc with the system when i bought it. Havent a clue how to do a repair without a disc or access to a copy of xp that doesnt cost me an arm and a leg

Help please!!

Many thanks

Regards

Steve

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:20 20 Mar 08

Repair XP by replacing corrupt files
Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

If it asks for the CD follow the instruction in the link to point SFC to the i386 folder on your hard drive.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:27 20 Mar 08

a TIME system

I would suspect low speed and memory from this system and Norton is a "resource hog".

I think you will find that Norton will slow your machine quite considerably and therefore suggest you ditch Norton (you will have to pay for updates soon anyway) and use
Avast as an AntiVirus and super Antipyware as an Antispy with SpywareBlaster as a blocker.

These three programs in total will use less resources and do as good as if not better job than Norton.

Can provide links if you are interested.

harpo63 08:26 21 Mar 08

hi tried the scannow function - didnt help unfortunately. The scan still wont complete.

I think I'll follow your advice and ditch norton - I'll reinstall my previous suite which worked fine with my pc

Thanks again

Regards

Steve

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…