Corrupt windows under Windows ME

Homework 10:50 13 Dec 03

I run Windows ME

The icons in the top right of every window become corrupted after my PC has been running a while (though they still work when clicked). However, when this happens it normally means that other system problems will occur during the session.

Does anyone know the fix or can suggest some keywords to use when searching the Microsoft Knowledgebase for an answer?

Rogerfredo 11:40 13 Dec 03

When I had this problem some time ago, the advise was to change the screen resolution, this then rebuilds the icon cache. Then change back.
In my case, I was running a serial keyboard with a serial graphics tablet. I finally disconnected the graphics tablet (which was really designed for w95), and got a PS2 keyboard. I have had no probs since.

Homework 00:47 25 Dec 03

Changing the screen resolution and then switching back does temporarily remove the problem.

It has been suggested that the font Marlett.ttf used by Windows may have become corrupt. However, I have discovered that I have a damaged A:\ drive and have not yet been able to use a Startup disk to extract a new copy of the font (which as it is used by windows is protected and cannot be replaced/extracted even in safe mode) !

It has also been suggested that the problem may be caused by a virus, but I have run Norton Antivirus on all files without anything turning up.

Big Elf 15:15 25 Dec 03

Have a look at click here Although for Win 95 it may help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…