Corrupt Windows Files?

Bilbo63 19:46 30 Jan 05

Win XP Home

On startup Windows fails to load. I get a black screen giving the following options:

Safe Mode
Safe mode with command prompt
Last known good configuration
Load windows normally

Have tried all options and it just goes round in circles taking me back to the same screen. Bootable floppy gives the same results.

I've tried installing the drive as master onto this PC but get the same results.

I could install it in this PC as slave, but I'm not sure how to then check the Windows files to see if they are corrupted.

I'd appreciate any good advice to help me get this drive working again?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:59 30 Jan 05

Do you have the FULL XP Home disk?

If so change BIOS to boot from floppy and go into recovery consul.

select instal windows and at the next prompt press R to repair the instalation already on the disk

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:04 30 Jan 05

Using Recovery Consul

click here

VoG II 20:07 30 Jan 05

click here may help you as well.

Bilbo63 20:12 30 Jan 05

Would this have to be the same XP Home disk as installed on the drive or could it be another copy?

VoG II 20:13 30 Jan 05

Any XP CD should work for a repair.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:15 30 Jan 05

Thanks VoG™ a much easier site to understand

/\0/\

Bilbo63 20:20 30 Jan 05

Thanks guys - will give it a go and see how i get on.

Bilbo63 17:12 31 Jan 05

Sorry guys still having trouble.

Tried the recovery consul using Fixboot and Fixmbr and chkdsk then tried booting up as normal.

First attempt found the DVD drive, the CD-RW drive and a USB mouse but couldn't locate any suitable drivers for them.

Second and susequent attempts I haven't even got that far. Can't get past the login identities screen before it just freezes.

Also the HDD has started making horrible knocking and grating noises!!!!!

I thought that maybe the HDD had died so tried a known good HDD in the PC and tried a different IDE cable and that wouldn't work either.

Any ideas please??????

Bilbo63 19:02 31 Jan 05

Bump

Bilbo63 23:48 31 Jan 05

Bump

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…