Corrupt Windows

NirvanaGuy 12:50 10 Sep 04

Recently my hard drive decided that it didn't want to boot into Windows anymore, since then I've been using a friends REALLY old 800MB hard just to keep me going whilst I try to repair the damage. But thats the thing I can't seem to do anything to make it work again.

When I boot with this hard drive (trying to run Win98SE), it asks for some system files that are already present on the hard drive. It says that the device files are being called on by the SYSTEM.INI file, but the line for these files have been deleted, so I replace all the system files by using a clean registry back up and still no luck.

So, I copy over brand new, fully working SYSTEM.INI config.sys etc and still get the same message. I don't have any drivers for my friends CD-ReWriter (Sanyo CRD-BP1700P) so I'm unable to back up the important things on my hard drive.
Its mad, if anyone has had this trouble and hasn't had to reduce to a clean install PLEASE PLEASE can you help, or anyone with a sugguestion.

sicknote 13:01 10 Sep 04

Can you not put your old H/D as a slave into another PC and copy the files over.

NirvanaGuy 13:12 10 Sep 04

Thats how I have configured now.
The hard drive I'm running windows off is only 800MB and I have like 300MB left after having a few essentials installed.

My original hard drive is 2GB (don't laugh) :P I don't have enough room to copy over all the files I want to back up, and thats where the CD-ReWriter drivers come in. I haven't been able to find ANY online! It's really trippin' me out!
I really want to fix the problem without having to resort to a clean install of Win98SE, as I'll lose all of my data.
I will if I find these drivers for the CD-RW, unless I fix the corrupt windows file. whatever it is.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:16 10 Sep 04

What op system XP?

What error message / syptoms? fails to boot aftre post?

Can you get into safe mode (F8)?

sicknote 13:31 10 Sep 04

Are the drivers not with the burning software you are using ??

click here

click here

NirvanaGuy 14:26 10 Sep 04

Fruit Bat - its Win98SE as I stated above!

Sicknote - nope! I installed Nero and it didn't pick up the drive at all.

Device manager lists it as a Generic CD-ROM drive.

I updated the firmwire from the site you mentioned ealier but that too didn't change anything in Nero.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…