Corrupt 'system' file

Fruit Bat 16:59 08 May 04

Computer often displays message 'windows\system32\config\system is corrupt, and will not continue to boot windows. Reboot with xp setupdisk press 'r' at first screen etc. However recovery consul will not start, sits there at the black screen with the starting recovery consul bars and does nothing else. Requires a re-install of xp to get computor going again.All I'm trying to do is copy the this system file and back it up.Can't copy while windows is using this program. AS Rec Consul won't work anyone know of another prgram I can use to read NTFS disk and copy/back up this file?
Have EBCD boot disk but this seems to run out of memory before I can copy file.

steven_frost 17:02 08 May 04

What you can do is skip the first recover page and go throught as if your doing a full re-install windows will look for its self and hopeful find itself and ask if you want to recover from their

Fruit Bat 17:09 08 May 04

tried that doesn't work end up installing Xp from new and all drivers and programs takes hours.

powerless 17:13 08 May 04
  €dstowe 17:29 08 May 04

As well as the link given by Powerless, this error can also be given by having the hard drive IDE cable either attached the wrong way round or having a 40 conductor cable instead of an 80 conductor.

If you have been making alterations inside your machine it may be worth a check on this. The blue connector normally goes to the motherboard.

Fruit Bat 17:49 08 May 04

Thanks for the link but I can't run Recovery Consul as describe above,since Partioning my hard drive, have installed it to hard drive as on an earlier posting today but still does same as if running from cd.

Using a K7s5a mobo had for 3 years has 2x40 cables to 120g and 40g harddrive ide0 cdrw and dvdrw ide1 if cable swapped in ports then beeps on start hd or cd/dvd don't run so am sure they are ok.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…