Corrupt registry in xp

handful 00:58 05 Aug 03

I have just managed to recover from my third corrupted registry in 8 months of using xp. The last stage of the process click here is to use system restore as I have only got access as an administrator at present and no programmes work although I can see they are installed. (Office, Outlook etc. Due to me having recently deleting my restore points due to a trojan virus, there is only one restore point available and when I select this one it won't accept it. Am I doomed to having to reformat or is there a way I can make applications work again. All my Word documents eg are shown as wordpad documents and I can?t think of a way of getting over the problem. Any ideas???

hugh-265156 01:08 05 Aug 03

im not sure,try renaming them .DOC and see if they open with word.

Lozzy 03:29 05 Aug 03

Insert your Win XP CD into your ROM. Click Start>>Run then type sfc /scannow then click OK. This will replace any and all corrupted files.

(Note:: note the space between the C and /)

If that does not fix the problem then set your bios to First boot sequence CD Rom keep the XP cd in the rom when you re boot and carry out the repair function. This will sort everything and even repair the registry.

Another way to repair the registry is by purchasing PC1Click which is brilliant at repairing the registry. click here for PC1Click free trial or Reg Healer click here

rawprawn 07:47 05 Aug 03

Backup, Backup, & Backup. When you get it fixed go to Run/regedit/highlight my computer, click file /Export, & nominate where you want the backup to go. Another HD if possible

STEVE71163 07:52 05 Aug 03

I was talking to my brother last night about this kind of thing and i keep seeing how stable xp is,But i have had more trouble with xp than i ever did with 98se.

Chegs ® 12:14 05 Aug 03

I have to "Repair" XP every few days(improvement from several times a day)as I have two SATA drives and the driver isn't certified,XP keeps forgetting these exist,so I have to start reinstall,press F6 to install 3rd party drivers,then once I get to loading XP,it notices I have XP install already there,and I can Repair/reinstall(after deleting previous version)I had two sticks of 2700 RAM that got rather hot causing XP to crash/lockup and reset invariably corrupts the Registry.On a normal IDE install,XP was very stable(Install to IDE had been ok for about 18mths)

handful 21:23 05 Aug 03

Apologies for not responding to your suggestions but I am now having problems with my second pc!!! I couldn't get online to check for responses.
Thanks to you all who contributed but I think I am in a position where I have deleted my corrupted registry strings (as directed) and have no new one to install as there are no workable restore points. I am assuming this means I have no way of restoring all my own registry settings.

I only did an sfc /scannow a couple of days before I had the problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…