Corrupt registry, stuck in reboot cycle

mccaffrey 12:07 07 Jun 05

Can someone please help, XP cannot load, gets to just before the user selection screen and reboots. When i turn off the auto reboot option it gives message "Stop: c0000218 {Registry File Faliure} The registry cannot load the hive (file): \systemroot\system32\config\SOFTWARE or its log or alternate. It is corrupt, absent, or non writable".

Anyone any ideas how i can get it going again without the XP cds, it was preinstalled when i got it. cheers

Completealias 14:40 07 Jun 05

Try this

As the computer boots up press F8 this will bring you to a screen with a number of options choose command prompt only and then at that type

C:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

Then press enter

This will start the system restore program and choose a date previous to this hapeening see if that works

mccaffrey 16:39 07 Jun 05

no joy, managed to find old win 95 boot disk, got it to the dos prompt, but C:\ doesn't have windows in it. It should be there though. c:\ doesn't have any of the files that should be in it.

Completealias 16:42 07 Jun 05

Don't boot with a windows floppy just as the pc starts up before the windows loading screen starts tap F8 this will then give you a list of options and one of them will be command prompt only.

Then try

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:52 07 Jun 05
  indianajohn 20:42 07 Jun 05

i had the same prob 3 weeks ago, spoke to PC world and they told me i had a virus despite all precautions, finally had to re-install windows xp from recovery disc as per there instructions, just read Fruit Bats link and printed it out, top man,wish i knew then what i know now, thanks fruit bat.

mccaffrey 11:21 09 Jun 05

thanks everybody, eventually took the pc into a loacl shop 2 get it repaired, shouldn't cost more than £20 and get a backup of important data. thanks for help though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…