Corrupt Norton Uninstall

pj123 14:06 22 Jun 05

A friend is having so much trouble with NIS that he decided to uninstall it. Now everytime he starts his computer he gets an error message:

"Windows cannot find a file needed etc. etc.

The files are "symtdi.vxd, savrtpel.vxd and savrt.vxd".

Pressing Enter 3 times gets into Windows OK and the computer is running fine.

Tried to re-install NIS but it now won't reinstall. He didn't write down the error message this time.

I have been on Google and found that lot's of other people seem to be having the same problem, but no-one has come up with an answer yet.

Any ideas please?

pj123 14:08 22 Jun 05

Sorry, forgot to say. Running Win 98SE.

markcellis 14:15 22 Jun 05

Have you tried looking here? click here

pj123 14:37 22 Jun 05

markcellis, Thanks for the link. I will pass it on to him. I don't (and won't) have Norton on my pc so I can't do much from here.

markcellis 15:51 22 Jun 05

That's No problem. Hope it helps. From memory I think I ended up downloading some software from symantec to clean up the registry and then the problems seemed to disappear.

kyprosman 18:39 22 Jun 05

If you scroll down to section 2 click here= and download the unistall tool SymNRT.exe. You could put it on a floppy it's only 661KB. That should cure his prob. Andy

pj123 11:04 23 Jun 05

kyprosman, thanks. Have downloaded that, zipped it up and emailed it to him. I am now waiting for a response from him.

pj123 16:31 23 Jun 05

Thanks for all the help everyone. This problem now appears to be solved via the link from kyprosman. Norton has now gone forever. See this other thread for more info.

click here

Now ticked.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced