Corrupt navapw32- XP won't boot

ukzz4iroc 15:29 14 Apr 05

I have managed to source the file that is preventing XP Pro from booting via a prolonged selective startup method in msconfig.

It is navapw32 and it sits in the startup section. If I do a search for the file- there are 3 files and one was modified on the day my computer went loopey (13th April 2005) I deleted this one, but I still can't work out the best thing to do? Sounds like a virus to me which has wiped out or modified this Norton file.

Please will someone help me and tell me step by step the best thig I can do?

Many, many, many thanks.
Felix

andrew-196854 15:37 14 Apr 05

only an idea but have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling norton antivirus

ukzz4iroc 15:40 14 Apr 05

Not sure that it will it let me remove a program in Selective start up mode? If I run in normal start up- it reloads with the dreaded file, so am limited to just this.. Thanks for teh quick reply.

andrew-196854 15:50 14 Apr 05

have you tried unistalling it in safe mode

ukzz4iroc 15:59 14 Apr 05

It won't let me as it won't uninstall in a MS Dos state??

andrew-196854 16:49 14 Apr 05
  ukzz4iroc 16:53 14 Apr 05

That's what I was starting to think. Should I uninstall NAV and put on a new one like AVG antivirus and run spyware etc..? Doesn't look like Norton can clear this one for me?

Thanks for your help and your time.

andrew-196854 17:05 14 Apr 05

norton can clear it for you all you have to do is update it and do a full scan , how long have you had norton antivirus and have you renewed you subscription if not you will not get the lastest updates

ukzz4iroc 17:33 14 Apr 05

I've had it for some time and always liveupdate it. Subscription is current too. I just hope if I disable the NAVAPW32 at startup, I will be able to access the internet and do the liveupdate..

Many thanks again my friend.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…