Corrupt music files for no reason files merged =[

Domstone86 22:26 05 Oct 11

Sorry about the cryptic title, not really sure what to describe or make of this!

Basically, I was doing some help for a friend, copying lots of files onto a NAS drive that I had configured. Everything seemed fine, but on both drives (The laptop and the storage drive) some of the media files have merged together, apparently similar in length, filename and filesize. So externally as shown by windows explorer, they're identical. I've also tried running it in itunes, no difference. I'll shortly post a couple of screenshots after it's finished disk checking.

One thing I did note, the only time I've experienced something like this was after recovering sound files from a corrupt hard drive, with bytes written over the original files.

I can't imagine it being the result of overusage of the hard drive, as no mechanical faults can be identified, and windows boots up fine no problem. I'm not sure if damage can occur only on the sectors in action, as I'd imagine there being a lot of collatoral damage to other files.

NAS:Buffalo Linkstation 2TB: LS-WXL Laptop: PCG-3d1m 4GB - DDR2 RAM 500GB HDD,

northumbria61 23:48 05 Oct 11

Are you sure these are not just duplicate files? See here enter link description here

Domstone86 00:01 06 Oct 11

They are duplicate files but on separate hard drives, both copies with the same issues. Maybe there's software that can reparse audio files or something? =[

northumbria61 11:21 06 Oct 11

Take a look in this list - you may just find something to help you enter link description here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…