Corrupt Hard drive?

lost~student 19:57 29 Aug 09

Any help would be much appreciated...
Came back to my laptop to find "OS could not be located" message or something similar. I tried restarting a few times only to return to the setup screen after attempting to start in safe mode, most recent know good mode, and normally each time returning to said screen. I then tried to reinstall windows xp trying both the repair and reboot options eventually getting offered to reformat my disk. I don't want to do this as I have all my information on this hard drive and haven't back up recently.
Following this I removed the hard drive and replaced it with an older one which works fine.
I then tried to connect the corrupt hard drive via USB. My laptop found and installed the new hardware for the USB device howeever I am unable to locate the disk.
Is there any hope for recovery of the data on the Hard drive and is it possible to do myself?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:21 29 Aug 09

Put old drive back in

boot from CD to recovery console and at the c:\windows prompt type

fixmbr

press enter

also try fixboot

exit and retry to boot from the hard drive.

lost~student 22:17 29 Aug 09

Hi, I tried to do what you said but when the repair console came up, I was unable to type in either fixmbr or fixboot.
Is it me missing something simple to be able to enter text??

Many thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:57 29 Aug 09
  lost~student 23:35 07 Sep 09

Yeah, still no luck. Borrowed a recovery CD from a friend and used it to check the disk and repair any bad sectors. Having done this I was able to use the repair console.
Now it just keeps freezing when trying to repair XP or even when trying to reinstall XP. I really don't know what else to do?
Contemplating the drastic action of formatting the disk and hoping to recover the information somehow?

DieSse 00:14 08 Sep 09

If you format the drive you will make the data very difficult, possibly impossible to access.

Ideally you should try to recover data using a working system, and either a USB connection or on a desktop system with an adapter (to allow laptop drives to be used on desktop connectors), and the drive connected as a slave, or on the second IDE cable.

If you drive can't be recognised in either of these situations, it is likely failed beyond economical repair.

If you can get at the drive when used as a slave/USB drive, then you may be able to copy from some parts of it - or you may be able to run one of the data recovery programs around.

The moral of this is - always have an up to date backup.

Strawballs 00:28 08 Sep 09

When I had that problem I managed to access my data by running live CD of Ubuntu which also proved to me that the hard drive was not total loss. managed to sort by downloading, burning to disc and running drive diagnostic tool from drive maker.

lost~student 01:32 08 Sep 09

DieSse - Formatting would only be a last ditch effort after everything else was attempted.
I have hooked it up via USB and the hard drive is now detected but I'm denied access to My Documents.

Strawballs - I shall look into it more in the morning and possibly give it a go then, thank you

lost~student 17:02 10 Sep 09

Lazarus - Thank you. Managed to extract the information from the hard drive. Think I might just reformat it now and start again. Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced