corrupt hard drive?

May$ 10:08 11 Aug 04

Hi

My hard drive came up with the message

"Boot disk failure please insert system disk etc.."

Have reformatted hard drive but came up with same thing.

Tried again and did a thorough scandisk check through windows 98

A message came up saying that windows was having trouble reading/writing to a cluster (65,000 or something) and asked me to test it or ignore it.

Is there any way I can repair this??

Thanks!!

xania 10:58 11 Aug 04

You say you reformated the Hard Drive - of course then you deleted the entire OS so, of course you will get the Boot error message.

However, it looks as if you do have a problem starting at cluster 65,000, and you will probably find a whole string of them. Its very unlikely that you will be able to repair, and the matter will almost certianly get worse. If you need to, you may get away with reinstalling around the errors as a temporary measure, but replace the HD at the earliest opportunity.

May$ 11:17 11 Aug 04

Thanks

I meant to say that the boot disk error message came up after I had installed the o/s.

So it looks like the h/d's gone...pants!

xania 15:12 11 Aug 04

If you reinstalled the OS and it came up again then I would say that there is no point trying to use it again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…