corrupt files on a disk

johnnyrocker 10:03 16 Sep 05

a relative of maile mailed me last night as could not read files he had on a disk, got an error something like, cannot read file corrupt etc, i asked for a bit more info which did not help much, but today i get a reply as this."However Gord found that if he ran clean up after each disk he could make things work."

any ideas or suggestions i could advise them on please.?

johnny

Gongoozler 10:31 16 Sep 05

The message makes absolutely no sense to me at all, however cd-r and, even more so cd-rw, disks do deteriorate over time, and the lasers in the disk drives also have a limited life. It is a good idea to keep duplicates of any disks holding important data, and if your relative is having a lot of problems reading disks it might be time to replace the disk drive.

johnnyrocker 10:34 16 Sep 05

thanks for that i shall forward the inf, any other thoughts gratefully accepted.

johnny.

johnnyrocker 17:44 16 Sep 05

update, after further questioning it transpires that this problem is with floppy and win xp pro

johnny.

Curio 19:09 16 Sep 05

Presumably the Malware, Adaware, Anti Virus scans have been done on this floppy?

VoG II 19:11 16 Sep 05

Try Drive Rescue click here to recover the files.

johnnyrocker 19:38 16 Sep 05

i think you are under the wrong impression it is a floppy and he gets round the prob as posted earlier but would like to be able to use floppies as before.
curio yes that was my first suggestion.

johnny.

octal 19:43 16 Sep 05

Has he tried a different make of disk in case there's a problem with that batch? We had a similar problem at work a few years ago, we ended up returning 50 floppies to the supplier.

johnnyrocker 19:47 16 Sep 05

these are disks he has made and requires to visit from time to time but to use another after using one he has to go through the above posted routine.

thanks

johnny.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017