Corrupt files?

Drum 12:49 25 Jul 07

Hi all, looking for some help.
I've got a three-year-old computer running Windows XP home, and a couple of days ago I deleted all my temporary internet files and on the add/ remove programs list in control panel attempted to remove MSN installer. Instead of removing it I was offered an option to install, which I declined. I then attempted to disable Norton GoBack before doing a defrag. Disabling Norton took well over two hours, but never quite completed it as my computer crashed in the process. I then went ahead with the defrag anyway.

Next morning I discovered that Internet Explorer and Outlook express had both vanished from the desktop and weren't in the program list. Using add/remove Windows components I managed to to restore Internet Explorer on its own, and then Outlook express, but when Outlook express was installed Internet Explorer vanished again?
I then reinstalled Internet Explorer and Outlook express vanished? By installing them together at the same time I've managed to get them both now but my cursors and sounds are now missing. I ran system file checker, and it completed but came up with no box or report?
I also have now discovered that Norton GoBack isn't running although it says it is, and my computer has really slowed down?
I've got no restore points as I turned off system restore several years ago because I was running Norton GoBack instead, and I've no operating system installation CD, only a backup

Any ideas?

RobCharles1981 12:53 25 Jul 07

Norton Goback is a waste of a tool, its nothing but problems I'm sure everyone will agree on me, best backup program is Acronis True Image 10 click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…