corrupt file

runnerpete 20:13 PM 14 Jul 11

When I switch the computer on I get the message: windows cannot start because the following file is corrupt. \Windows\System32\configure\system you can attempt to repair this file by starting windows set up by using the the original set up cd rom.

select r at the first screen to start repair. Q.what does one do if you no longer have that ?? The machine is a packard bell using windows XP

chub_tor 21:00 PM 14 Jul 11

You will need an XP disc so that the corrupted file can be copied from it. A borrowed one will do the trick.

Terry Brown 21:18 PM 14 Jul 11

The problem with borrowing a CD is it must be the same version as the one you are using now. If you are using XP, it will proberly be SP3 .

I have an old Dell XP pro CD (copy not original), I do not know what version it is, or even if still works (made 2007), I no longer have the machine and it will only work on a Dell computer.

If you would to send me an A5 SAE, I will post it to you. You will need the number from your machine to run it.

I offer no guarrantees that it will work, but if you want to try it, you're welcome.

Send me an email to [email protected] and I will email you my address. Terry

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:21 PM 14 Jul 11

or you can boot with a linux live CD

And go into C:\windows\system32\config rename system to system.old rename system.alt to systemalt.old copy the file system from c:\windows\repair\ to C:\windows\system 32\config

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

14 best budget laptops of 2015: best budget laptops reviews - best cheap laptops - best bargain…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Animated film of Raymond Briggs' Ethel and Ernest ramps up production

From Antennagate to Yellowgate: The 10 worst Apple scandals (and why they were blown out of proport)…