Correct positioning of new hard drive

Randum Ian 11:34 29 Aug 03

Hi guys, I am in a bit of a pickle and I don't know the best solution to my problem. At the moment I have a 60GB drive on "Master 1", a space on "Slave 1", a CD drive on "Master 2" and a CD-RW burner on "Slave 2". I have just bought myself a new 120GB drive and obviously the only slot available is "Slave 1" but is that the best configuration? I am asking the question now because I can move them all about when I install the new drive and set them up properly before installing XP Pro back on.

My machine is an AMD 2100+ with 512DDR.

Cheers for any advice. Ian.

seedie 11:49 29 Aug 03

You may wish to make your new drive the master and the existing drive the slave. This way you can put the system on the new then add applications as you need them.

A dualboot facility would be handy but not essential.

Make sure you get the jumpers on the drives right.

Djohn 11:52 29 Aug 03

You can have your drives in several combinations, all will work well. The only condition to this is that you have your (C) or system drive as Master on IDE 1. The combination you wish to use is fine, and as good as any. j.

TBH1 12:21 29 Aug 03

yep, easiest way is to just wop it in the free space as primary/slave - - - my setup is like this.

Randum Ian 14:13 29 Aug 03

Thanks for your advice guys.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…