Correct order to connect 4 IDE devices?

Diemmess 08:49 31 Jan 07

Currently re-arranging the hardware in old faithful.

Two HDs, two optical drives.
At present the HDs are master and slave on Primary line, the opticals similarly on the Secondary cable.

This has worked for ages, but does it matter if I change things so that both HDs are connected as Master on Primary and Secondary cables and each has an optical drive as a Slave device?

(I need to fit the primary HD in a withdrawable tray and reposition some of these and allow for cable lengths and ventilation)

vinnyT 11:53 31 Jan 07

If you put the hd and optical drive on the same cable, the speed will be governed by the slowest, which is the optical drive.

Stay as you are, unless you want to slow your pc down (and who wants that).

ed-0 12:05 31 Jan 07

If the motherboard is ATA133 compatible and you use 80 wire 40 pin IDE ribbon cables, then no.

You can test the transfer speeds of the hard drives via pc pitstop. click here Just click on the disk section at the end of the test.

test them first in the current configuration and then with the mixed settings. See if there is any significant reduction in un cached hard drive speed.

You don't have to join and it is free.

Diemmess 13:16 31 Jan 07

Its now all up and running as well as before.
A serious question to which I thought I already knew the answer.

I nipped out and bought a slightly longer data cable which with some re-arranging of the various drives, leaves me where I wanted to be.

vinnyT 10:12 01 Feb 07

Welcome

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now