Correct date & time not saving

schmollies 17:14 14 Aug 14
Answered

Hi,

I have a Zoostorm Freedom 10-270 netbook; windows 7 starter. I do not use it that often but is good as it has an actual keyboard and I have needed it working outside my office.

Last week when I switched it on the date and time were wrong & it would not connect to the internet. I changed the date & time, saved the changes, and all was fine. The next day I switched it on, the date & time were again incorrect. This happened again today.

Any idea what the problem might be?

Ray

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:37 14 Aug 14

Sounds like the CMOS battery is dead (the battery is used save the BIOS settings, because you do not use the machine often the battery is over used and gone flat).

See here for a new battery and link on the site to show how to change (not s easy on some laptops)

Woolwell 17:37 14 Aug 14

CMOS Battery problems and it probably needs replacing. If you are unhappy about taking a netbook apart then you may need to take it for repair. See also Zoostorm freedom blog

john bunyan 18:13 14 Aug 14

I do sympathise. A young relative has an Asus Laptop where this happens in spite of a new Panasonic CMOS battery - I wonder if something can drain it. Hope you sort it out and in your case the CMOS battery is the answer.

rdave13 18:27 14 Aug 14

One workaround possibly is to make the netbook 'sleep' rather than shutdown and checking, now and again, that the main battery still has charge. Not ideal but cheaper than sending for repair. Depending on the battery's state .

schmollies 20:06 14 Aug 14
Answer

Hi All,

Many thanks for all your replies. I don't think I am confident enough to try & change the CMOS battery myself. Will take to a local repair man.

Ray

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…