corelab wanting to load onto MSN Messenger

bof:) 20:06 10 Dec 06

Hi All, when collecting emails on my wifes pc using MSN the Information bar comes up with a message saying:

'corelab InfoPath Forms' wants to place an add-on onto the page' I'm about to view. It also says its an unregisetered licence. How do I stop this happening? (other that click the cancel X)

I've run Spybot just in case corelab InfoPath Forms is spyware, it found nothing.

Currently ad aware is running.

Thankyou for any advice,

Mike

bof:) 21:34 10 Dec 06

Hi all Spybot, Ad-aware, Ewido and AVG (free version) didn't find anything.

I also cleaned out the registery with RegscrubberXP and used regedit to look through registery for any reference to Corelab. I found only 1 which I deleted but the message still comes up when I access an email whilst on MSN ! any ideas of how to stop this please?

Thankyou,

Mike

bof:) 11:04 19 Dec 06

bump

bof:) 14:34 28 Dec 06

bump again

anyone ?

bof:) 23:59 01 Jan 07

bump

possible final bump, come on guys n' gals, someone must know how to get rid of corelab

Mike

Totally-braindead 00:17 02 Jan 07

The only idea I can think of is run Ccleaner and see if it finds it. If you've deleted part of it hopefully Ccleaner will find the rest of it an identify it as part of a program and give you the option to delete it.
I presume you've looked in add/remove programs for any corelab items that can be removed.
No other ideas - sorry.

brundle 00:29 02 Jan 07

Possibly something to do with .png file handling - are any of your profile images or extra graphics in png format?
click here

brundle 00:32 02 Jan 07

The text `built by corelab` can also be found in a file called dfsr.dll, in the Live Messenger folder - apparently it is for `Messenger File Replication`. Don't know what it does or why, but it may give more to go on.

bof:) 12:17 02 Jan 07

Hi both, thanks for the help, you've given me something to work with. I'll report back on how I get on.

Mike

bof:) 16:22 12 Jan 07

sorry been away in ccu. I'll tick as resolved (although not yet worked on) and let you know how I get on later)

Mike

bof:) 13:28 14 Jan 07

Hi all, nice to be back.

Update:

Uninstalled MSN 7.5, via add/remove programes. Rebooted PC, downloaded MSN 6.0 and installed it.

Went to run it and it said new update out, need to install it. Did this unticking every bit of extra's.

Then went to regedit scanned for corelab, found 1 mention of it, uninstalled this and all seems well now.

Thankyou everyone for your help yet again.

Mike

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…