Core i7 or Overclocked Core i5

djwheeler 11:07 09 Jan 12

Hi,

Just a quick question. Looking to get a new PC which is going to last for a while as I do not want to go through the process again any time soon. Will not really be doing any gaming on it, but will need to do editing of HD footage taken on our Sony camcorder as well as just normal day to day stuff. Have been looking at this Dell system:

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=d00x8328&c=uk&l=en&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1&model_id=xps-8300&

As can get it down to around £540 with vouchers and cashback etc. However Have also seen this system:

http://www.chillblast.com/pconf.php?productid=17980

So my question is I suppose, would I be better with the Core i7 or the overclocked Core i5 & Dell or another systen? :-)

Thanks,

D

Woolwell 11:41 09 Jan 12

I am not a hardware expert but I am in the process of getting a new system to edit HD. I went for Core i7 with lots of RAM. I had a look at the Dell system but it doesn't have USB 3 (although that is still a minor consideration) and didn't think that it matched some other systems.

Suggest that you speak to some of the suppliers (Chillblast, Arbico, Novatech, etc) and see what they recommend. This also gives you a good idea as to how helpful the supplier will be. I think that you will be pushed with your budget to get a system which is going to last for a while (having said that every system gets out of date fairly quickly).

djwheeler 13:05 09 Jan 12

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. The Dell appealed because of the processor and the amount of RAM (although it could be said that 12GB is a bit overkill). It is difficult to choose between the processors I suppose. Maybe I will get in contact the some of the manufacturers.

Thanks,

D

Woolwell 13:15 09 Jan 12

I've gone for 16Gb because of HD processing and the ability to multi-task. However I usually over-engineer!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac