Core 2 Duo Barebones?

ric01 01:23 29 Oct 08

hi,

looking to acquire a desktop for dv edit work. my old P4 is not fast enough for 100% video playback. might a solution be a Core 2 barebones like the Asus Vintage3-P5945GC

click here

or would i be better off with a straight retail model (Dell)?

this is not as straightforward as it sounds because the software i want to use is not Vista compatible, so that's going to narrow down the options

thanks

Ric

I am Spartacus 10:07 29 Oct 08

What software do you use? A look at the equipment specifications will give an idea of what you require.

If you're planning on HD editing then an integrated graphics card won't be enough and a high(ish) end card would be required.

A quad core processor would be beneficial but only if the software is multi-core aware.

Fast, large and dedicated hard disks would also be of help e.g. a disk for the OS and programs and at least one other for the actual file prrocessing. The 1TB Samsung F1's are getting great reviews for performance.

howard64 11:25 29 Oct 08

first if the software is oldish ie not compatible with Vista it will not be able to take advantage of dual or quad core. The first core 2 duo pc I made surprised me it was much slower than my previous single core processor which ran at 3 GHz. The core 2 duo ran at 3 GHz but each core ran at 1.5 GHz. With software that was not written for more than 1 core it was quite poor. If 2 processes were running at the same time each ran at 1.5 but the system still felt slow. For your software I suggest you go for the highest GHz rating per core, get a graphics card with as much fitted ram as you can afford and make sure the system has as much ram as it can work with. For XP [32 bit] I am told it cannot work efficiently with more than 3 GB.

ric01 11:34 29 Oct 08

Hi Spartacus,

been using Pinnacle 9 (with Pinnacle av/dv PCI card) for a long time but have recently noticed Adobe Premiere 3 has 'plug ins' that i can use - but it is an XP software

run Pinnacle 9 on xp which is okay but its P4 processor is not quite fast enough to keep up with AVI movie playback, so i think i need a faster processor. i have checked and my Dell D-3000 is not processor upgrade friendly, so this leaves me to either acquire a new xp machine of go custom barebones

HD is not an issue, happily - so that might make things a little easier choicewise?

many thanks

Ric

I am Spartacus 12:03 29 Oct 08

I stopped using Pinnacle 9 some years ago when it got to the stage that it was 50/50 whether it would crash or work. I read version 12 is similarly afflicted although that might now be sorted.

Adobe Premiere Elements 3 does work on Vista however you need version 3.0.2 or a patch. However Version 7 is now out. It's also multi-core aware and I use it (3.0.2) regularly on both Vista and XP.

Check out Cougar Extreme for a custom build as there's many satisfied forum members who have bought from them click here

If there isn't an option for what you want then phone to discuss your requirements. If I didn't build my own systems I would buy from them. I take it that building your own system isn't an option?

What's your budget and what else will you be using it for?

ric01 13:11 29 Oct 08

howard64 wrote:

[quote]first if the software is oldish ie not compatible with Vista it will not be able to take advantage of dual or quad core. The first core 2 duo pc I made surprised me it was much slower than my previous single core processor which ran at 3 GHz. The core 2 duo ran at 3 GHz but each core ran at 1.5 GHz. With software that was not written for more than 1 core it was quite poor. If 2 processes were running at the same time each ran at 1.5 but the system still felt slow. For your software I suggest you go for the highest GHz rating per core, get a graphics card with as much fitted ram as you can afford and make sure the system has as much ram as it can work with. For XP [32 bit] I am told it cannot work efficiently with more than 3 GB.[/quote]

gosh, this sounds complex - i imagined just pop in a faster processor and away you go, but obviously not! :-o

this is going to take some thought to optimise what i can get away with on xp

many thanks ;)

Ric

I am Spartacus 13:24 29 Oct 08

Ric, Just to clarify. A 1.5GHz Dual Core does not run at 3GHz. Each core runs at 1.5GHz, no more. However it would be better for multitasking with 2 cores handling the task rather than 1.

As a rough idea a 2.4GHz Dual Core would have roughly the same performance as a 3.2GHz Pentium 4. It's more efficient at slower clock speeds due to a better design.

As I mentioned above if you give some idea of your budget and the other uses you will make of it it will help.

I will state again Adobe Premiere Elements, version 3.0.2 or 7 will work on XP or Vista.

You can download a fully functional, time limited copy from click here for evaluation. It will put an adobe logo in your files but has all the features of the paid for version.

I am Spartacus 13:25 29 Oct 08

Fourth sentence above should read tasks not task.

ric01 13:54 29 Oct 08

I am Spartacus wrote:

"I stopped using Pinnacle 9 some years ago when it got to the stage that it was 50/50 whether it would crash or work. I read version 12 is similarly afflicted although that might now be sorted."

been lucky with 9 av/dv - it only crashes on me if i interfere with it, when it's trying to do something, especially at the 'render' phase ~ it was a shock to understand P4 was not quite fast enough to keep up with it; when Pinnacle 9 came out P3 was probably top of the game?

"Adobe Premiere Elements 3 does work on Vista however you need version 3.0.2 or a patch. However Version 7 is now out. It's also multi-core aware and I use it (3.0.2) regularly on both Vista and XP."

yep; only trouble being the plug-ins i am interested in (basically for stop-frame type movie work) are not ready for Vista yet, so that narrows me to Abobe xp software; when the plugs become vista-friendly i can patch-upgrade Abobe to Vista hopefully?

"Check out Cougar Extreme for a custom build as there's many satisfied forum members who have bought from them ..."

now that looks promising - thanks :)

"If there isn't an option for what you want then phone to discuss your requirements. If I didn't build my own systems I would buy from them. I take it that building your own system isn't an option?"

it is an option, it's just that if i can find a 'tailor made' system which will do the job, i'd probably go for that, instead of building one - i'd actually like to have a go at building a pc: there is a site which assists you to plan this out -

click here

which suggested -

? Processor [Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 775], (1-775 connector(s)/socket(s)
? Motherboard FSB 1066
? Memory Architecture DDR2
? Memory Speed 533 [1-DIMM]
? Graphics Card (PCI) [ECS, MemSize 256 (too small?)
? Hard Disk - STM380215A 80GB Hard Drive 7200rpm 2MB Cache - IDE connector(s)/socket(s)
? Power Supply (24PIN,1-12VRAIL connector(s)/socket(s)
? Chassis [Foxconn]

"What's your budget and what else will you be using it for?"

do not want to pay more than a couple of 100 pounds for what started out as a simple processor upgrade on the P4. would help a lot if i could find a pc / barebone unit which took the same memory sticks as the P4, which i only recently loaded up to full Ram; i don't think replacing the P4's motherboard is an option, because everything else in the system will probably have to be upgraded as well - easier to start from scratch? can still use dvd hardware because i am not using HD tech, with the option of upgrading to HD / Vista later on;

this project would be primarily devoted to dv capture and burn - so i'd need firewire PCI and so forth - wonder if that can be intergrated into a single graphics card - a lot of mobo's i have looked at are very sparing on PCI slots these days, and i do like my PCI slots :)

bests

R

ric01 14:07 29 Oct 08

I am Spartacus wrote on Wed, [email protected]:24 ~

"Ric, Just to clarify. A 1.5GHz Dual Core does not run at 3GHz. Each core runs at 1.5GHz, no more. However it would be better for multitasking with 2 cores handling the task rather than 1."

yep, i guess that's what the Pinnacle is missing, the double core ability to process complex dv files?

"As a rough idea a 2.4GHz Dual Core would have roughly the same performance as a 3.2GHz Pentium 4. It's more efficient at slower clock speeds due to a better design."

i see. i have an Athlon64 x2 on another (vista) pc which can handle dv files

"As I mentioned above if you give some idea of your budget and the other uses you will make of it it will help."

£200 / $450

"I will state again Adobe Premiere Elements, version 3.0.2 or 7 will work on XP or Vista."

ok

"You can download a fully functional, time limited copy from click here for evaluation. It will put an adobe logo in your files but has all the features of the paid for version."

that's fine: i sent for a copy of Abobe 3 after verifying the plug-in's were still a going concern: they are not currently vista-ready

this is a very good forum - with thanks ;)

R

I am Spartacus 14:24 29 Oct 08

I see where you're coming from now.

The motherboard you linked to in your first post would take a Q6600 at £136 click here or possibly an E7200 C2D click here (You'd need to check this as it's a fairly new CPU which may not be recognised by the motherboard).

It has an option for adding a graphics card later but your RAM may not fit unless it's DDR2 and 800MHz minimum.

Also you would need to buy Elements 3 to make use of a Core 2 Duo/Quad (which may not now be available anyway).

I don't really think it's worth attempting it with your budget.

Others may have suggestions though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…