Cordless Phone - Dial-up ISP problems

X-Box 11:26 19 Dec 03

I recently replaced my cordless phone with a Binatone Easytouch 100 Cordless Telephone Quad Pack which comprises 1 base station + codless phone and 3 'satellite'cordless phones.

When this is connected it badly upsets my dial-up internet connection which grinds to an ususable crawl.

Unplugging the phones restores the normal internet connection speed which is actually not at all bad for a dial-up connection.

Excuse my ignorance of phone systems, but will this problem still occur if I switch to broadband in the future (which I probably will when I retire & lose my ISDN connection at work)

The REN number for the Binatone system is 1 and there are other phones connected to the sockets in my house.

X-Box 11:41 19 Dec 03

Ooops ....last line should say NO other phones are connected i.e total REN = 1.

Stuartli 14:38 19 Dec 03

But presumably your satellite phones will still represent a REN figure of one each?

I have a cordless phone, an answerphone, two phone extensions and the modem on my system and still get connection speeds of 51-52kbps with Pipex and 49.2kbps with Tiscali.

AubreyS 14:52 19 Dec 03

Stuartli.

If you have more that one cordless phone attached to a base unit, it will only have a REN of one main unit, normally 1 REN.

X-Box.

I also have four digital cordless phones and I've got BT Broadband. It has not affected my connection speed but I do have a constant background noise on any of the cordless phones even with the filters provided. The noise goes if I disconnect the broadband modem. My friend also has the same problem. I think its a case of suck it and see.

FRANKMAC 16:32 19 Dec 03

I have BT Broadband and 2 different cordless phones in the house and have no problem whatsoever.

I think you will find it is the telephone that is causing all your problems........I was speaking to a BT broadband engineer a few weeks back, he had been to a customer with similar problems to yourself (but broadband) it turned out to be the Binatone Telephone they had in their kitchen...Apparently Binatone equipment is not CE Approved and will cause all sorts of problems to a dialup connection and with it in place you will not get broadband at all.

HTH

Mac

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…