cordless mouse question

acein1 12:43 13 Dec 04

hi my friend has a "gateway" p/c ,where the mouse is connected to the "keyboard" via usb,the problem is the mouse cable is a pest always getting in the way, can he just buy a cordless mouse,or dose he have to buy a keyboard also,sorry if this is adaft question,but any advice about this and any pitfalls that he may incounter would be appreciated along with suggestion on which mouse/keyboard etc thanks

Brian-336451 12:55 13 Dec 04

My wife and I have wireless mice on our different computers.

What generally happens is that there is some sort of receiver which is plugged into a USB port on the computer somewhere (it doesn't have to face front necessarily).

The mouse itself generally has a couple of batteries ranging from AA's in the larger rodent (probably ought to be renamed to a rat!) to AAA in my 'notebook' version which is tiny.

Have a look at Belkin, Logitech and Microsoft. They are more or less similar but often have slightly different 'bells and whistles' it's really a matter of personal taste.

If you've a branch of PC World nearby you can actually look at one physically, but they are cheaper on line usually.

I've been using one for about 2 years - I'll NEVER go back now. Might I suggest that you invest in rechargeable batteries (two sets is a good idea too for when they run out).

It's Sod's Law that the batteries give up the Ghost when it's least convenient.

Hope that helps.

TomJerry 12:56 13 Dec 04

if it has usb port or ps/2 port, he can get any usb or ps/2 mouse be wired or wireless

Diodorus Siculus 13:03 13 Dec 04

It will depend on the connections on the back of the PC for mouse / keyboard. Generally speaking, there should be a couple of PS2 connectors - about the size of a 5p coin.

I don't know if Gateway had their own type - it is possible.

What happens when the mouse is detached from the keyboard (can it?)? You may be able to replace it with a USB mouse?

Diodorus Siculus 13:03 13 Dec 04

I must remember to refresh... :-(

acein1 13:41 13 Dec 04

thank you all for advice,i am a bit confused , yes he can disconect the mouse from the keyboard,but when he tried another mouse in the usb port on the back of the p/c it would not work,as far as i know there are NO ps/2 ports on the back of the p/c usb only

Stuartli 14:26 13 Dec 04

Look for two round Din type sockets - one should be green and the other purple. The green one is for a mouse, whether corded type or via onnecting a transmitter for a wireless version.

Some motherboard have a differnt type of PS/2 connecter and you may require an adapter (a lead with a female socket of each to use either way) in which to fit the mouse receiver's lead.

Brian-336451 12:13 14 Dec 04

Name me a computer built in the last 5 years or so that doesn't have at least 2 USB slots? Especially Gateway that was modern enough to combine mouse/keyboard connections.

That's why I made the assumption.

Wireless mice often/always come with software anyway so you might just have to run the software before you plug in the wireless mouse receiver.

So in answer to your question - yes

If you are running Win98 you will almost certainly need to load the drivers that come on the installation disk.

If you're running XP , it's possible (depending on manufacturer) the computer will 'recognise' the mouse. Failing that load the drivers.

Acein1
- your question is phrased in such a manner as to sound as if you shouldn't ask. Your question is MOST reasonable and is one the the reasons this site exists.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…