cordless mouse ...help!!!

JUSZO 09:39 28 Jan 03

Just bought a Hewlett packard cordless mouse. I've installed the Drivers okay and can't get it to work....the transmitter plugs into usb and powers up fine. I've installed the batteries into mouse...but no matter what I do I can't seem to get it to work.....what am I missing guys????

BRYNIT 09:48 28 Jan 03

sometimes their is a button on the mouse and the recieving unit to marry the two together when new batteries are installed. look at instructions for this. Also del from systems reboot and let windows find mouse drivers again.

Djohn 09:51 28 Jan 03

Did you remember to install the drivers first, before connecting the receiver to the port? If not then uninstall and try again, installing the drivers first.

JUSZO 09:54 28 Jan 03

Okay...will try both now....hang on....

JUSZO 10:11 28 Jan 03

Tried both but no use. The mouse has both USB and PS2 connection and I've tried both. I've installed drivers first and still no good. There are small buttons on underside of mouse and receiver but pressed them both ib turn and also together ( all combinations) but nothing happens!!! The instructions are no use at all...no troubleshooting or FAQ section; they don't even mention using the buttons to configure mouse and receiver together. Any more ideas? Pleeeeeeeeeeeease

Djohn 10:21 28 Jan 03

Try this!

HP Cordless scrolling mouse (C4740A) - Frequently Asked Questions

What's in the kit?

- A cordless, scrolling mouse and receiver

- 2 AAA standard batteries

- 2 floppy driver's diskettes

- A User's Guide.

How to use the cordless, scrolling mouse?

First, install the batteries in the mouse and connect the receiver to the PC. Next, install the OS software drivers from the floppy diskettes. If a mouse is already installed, and will be replaced by the cordless, scrolling mouse, please uninstall its drivers first.

Technical Specifications

This mouse uses digital radio technology to communicate with the receiver. The use of radio technology means that the receiver can be placed anywhere around the PC, even under the desk. The mouse will work anywhere within a two-meter range. The average battery lifespan is about 6 months.

If someone has the same cordless, scrolling mouse as me, what are the security risks to my PC if they are within the two-meter operational range?

When the mouse is first used, an identification code is set up with the receiver. To minimize the chance of two user's codes being the same, a total of 4095 identification codes are possible on both radio wavelengths. So, there is only a 1 in 8190 chance that two mice will be using the same identification code.

If this does occur, the user should press the buttons marked Connect and Channel simultaneously. A new identification code will be set up, that should be different from the previous one.

HFC 11:37 28 Jan 03

I cannot contribute to the resolution of this prob, but can I add that I have had similar problems with mine(not HP model). It even 'disconnects contact' when the mouse moves any more than a few feet away (if dropped for example) They are a bl***y waste of money!

Wak 20:54 28 Jan 03

I have a Packard Bell cordless mouse which I'm very pleased with but it won't work if the batteries are the wrong way round.
Have you tried reversing your batteries yet???

steve0 20:57 28 Jan 03

Might be a problem with the hardware. I use a microsoft cordless optical mouse and wireless keyboard without any problems - worked first time out of the box. Would never go back to any other type - range is further than I could read the monitor.

JUSZO 20:57 28 Jan 03

Yeah...tried the batteries WAK....backwards, forwards...on end!!! DJOHN I shall try all your advice step by step...thanks everyone for taking the time to help....I'll report back with an update....

steve0 20:59 28 Jan 03

Might be a problem with the hardware. I use a microsoft cordless optical mouse and wireless keyboard without any problems - worked first time out of the box. Would never go back to any other type - range is further than I could read the monitor.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…