copyright protection of images

paul_allard 11:14 25 May 04

We want to put a protection on our website to stop anyone "pinching" the pictures without permission becuase the photographer wants to sell them. I know that it can be done but can anyone remind me how to do this ?

spuds 11:24 25 May 04

Will these help click here click here

paul_allard 12:03 25 May 04

No, I think that there is HTML code that can be used to stop pictures being taken off webpages without permission

JayDay 12:17 25 May 04

This won't stop people capturing the screen and pasting it into a graphics package. I have seen some sites that add a watermark to the picture so it stops you from capturing the screen. Don't ask me how they do it though.

TomJerry 12:18 25 May 04

There are some java script which disables save option for Internet Explorer, but this does not work for other broswer. There are other methods, but they can not stop someone really clever in programming etc.

So, the best option is to make your pictures unuseable by a number of simple measures (1) only put low resolution pictures on web (2) put some copyright notice on important part of pictures, so they cannot be easily cut out. (3) put some copyright notices using watermark background.

The reason I said it is technically very difficult is because the nature of web access. Basically, when you click a web page, the computer will download the page and then display using downloaded information. Once downloaded on local computer, there is always a way to get it.

2neat 12:39 25 May 04

Good answer!

paul_allard 12:50 25 May 04

Thank you for the help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event live stream | Apple October Event live blog: Watch Apple unveil new MacBook Pro, new…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Lida designs a cross-stitch email sent to thousands of Ikea Family members

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: Faster performance, a brighter screen, water-ret…